Recent redfish and snook on swimbaits

Christiantaj

Haven't focused any time on freshwater lately, the saltwater bite has been too good to pass up for me. These fish were within the past 2 months, I either caught them on a 4" or 6" spooltek, or a swim jig 1/4-1/2 oz with a swimbait 4-6". It's crazy just waiting for that serious thump that stops the bait and set the hook and it feels like you're on the bottom or rocked up then your drag just starts peeling. Nothing better. This is just a couple of the bigger fish from recent trips.

post-23713-0-40417800-1486600636_thumb.png

post-23713-0-37689200-1486600650_thumb.png

post-23713-0-37454000-1486600661_thumb.png

post-23713-0-82888700-1486600674_thumb.jpg

post-23713-0-61988000-1486600696_thumb.jpg

post-23713-0-78310700-1486600710_thumb.png

post-23713-0-21968200-1486600758_thumb.jpg

Edited by Christiantaj

Great looking fish - interesting setup as well.  What type of rod/reel are you using and how do you like it for throwing swimbaits?  I ask because I'm considering getting my kids MH saltwater inshore spinning rods that can throw swimbaits up to ~2 oz. so that they can join me on the night wake bait bite.  I'm not quite ready (read: patient enough) for them to learn how to use baitcasters in the dark.

Great looking fish - interesting setup as well.  What type of rod/reel are you using and how do you like it for throwing swimbaits?  I ask because I'm considering getting my kids MH saltwater inshore spinning rods that can throw swimbaits up to ~2 oz. so that they can join me on the night wake bait bite.  I'm not quite ready (read: patient enough) for them to learn how to use baitcasters in the dark.

yeah, most of the time when I'm fishing night time I'll use spinning set ups for convenience. makes my life way easier. and I don't blame you for wanting to put them on the same path lol. most of the time I'm throwing baits up to 2 oz on my 4k stradic, and on a blair wiggins flats blue rod I believe its an 8' heavy action (don't quote me may be off on that info). handles mostly everything I need to throw on it. I also have a smaller rod that I throw anything from the lightest of tackle I have to an oz or so, but it was a custom built rod, MH action with a 2500 stradic on it. Usually I'll throw my swim baits on mono, for almost all applications, but when fishing with spinning gear or salt water I prefer braid for line management and also sensitivity. I'd say that they'll be good with any MH to H action rod, a decent 3k or 4k spinning reel and 20-40 lb braid. you could go smaller on the reel just depends what rod you have to pair it with. 

• 3 weeks later...