Dobyns fury 806

Springtimejammin

Well I finally got to fish with it, very impressed to say the least. I don't think it is the same blank as the champions 806, this one seems to be just a little stronger. I threw a deps 250 with ease on it, although I would much rather throw a deps on the 867. The 250 is pretty close to the max on this rod. It's definitely an awesome rod though for that 2-5oz range and will be what I mainly use it for. I don't think you can go wrong with it for the price either. I bought directly from Dobyns and ended up paying only $310(shipping included) for it and a 867 using the veteran discount. However, I wouldn't hesitate at all to pay retail for this rod. I really hope they make a fury 807 next!

• 3 months later...

Wait so you got the 806 "AND" the 867 for 310$ ? Two rods for 310$ ? With the veterans discount? No way right. did I misread that?

That's correct, 806 fury and 867 champions for $310 with the vet discount, 30% off.

Evans they are 259 on TW with cheap shipping.... did you get hosed by dobyns?

I thought it was a good deal, 867 is $290 and fury 806 is $120, so about $100 off. I think it ends up being $200ish for the 867 and $84ish for the fury 806 and rest is shipping.

And for the 9 millionth time I've edited this..... TW will give vets 10% discount as well, just contact them and send your DD-214 or valid ID card.

Edited by evans_usmc69

I emailed Gary Dobyns a while back regarding the Fury 806 and his son Richard replied:

"The handle length of the 806 Fury swim bait rod is 13â€, measured from the bottom of the reel seat. It is the same exact length as the Champion 806HSB. WE built the Fury rod to be the same as Champion version. So flex, power, and action are very similar to each other."

Blanks are different. Guides have alconite inserts and are made by Sea Guides. Go to the Dobyns Rods website. Responses to your questions are quick and thorough by Richard and Gary Dobyns.

• 6 months later...

Im thinking about getting this rod to use as a dedicated deps 250 rod.

Im just looking for some more insight if itll be good for that. Im on a budget but really want/need another setup so im not having to change baits all day.

I know I would love to get an 867 or 807 but that just isnt in the cards right now.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Im thinking about getting this rod to use as a dedicated deps 250 rod.

Im just looking for some more insight if itll be good for that. Im on a budget but really want/need another setup so im not having to change baits all day.

I know I would love to get an 867 or 807 but that just isnt in the cards right now.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I've thrown a 250 on the Champion 806 but I think you end up lobbing it rather than casting it.  I MUCH prefer to fish the 250 on the 867 rod.  Other guys can chime in as to other budget rods that may be better suited as a dedicated 250 rod.

• 2 months later...

I just broke my Champion series 806. Was wondering if anyone had the Fury version 806 after the Champion series. Weight. Blank feel. If its a lower model Did it have a dead feel compared to the Champion series? I was thinking about purchasing a Fury 795 and an 806 Fury instead of just replacing the 806 Champion rod.Thanks for any response.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had 2 previous versions of the Dobyns Champion Series rods. 806 and 795 SB rods. Each one was sent back more than once for guide issues. Broken inserts. I sold the repaired ones and moved on. The Champion xp series came out with Fuji guides so I bought a 865 and 806. I love those actions on those blanks. I recently broke the 806. I believe it was damaged in shipping. I am trying to decide if  should buy the Fury series 806 to replace my broken one. My concern is the guides used. I don't want travel down that road of broken inserts again. anyone have any issues with Sea Guide inserts? 

• 5 years later...

I've had the 806 fury for a few years now and it's been my main treble rod. I haven't had any issues with guides or any other problems. Really enjoy the rod and for the price it's hard to beat for those 2-5 oz glides