Best swI'm bait for striper

Tim the twin

I can't say what gonna work for the beaches, but I will share what works in the Delta..

Small/Med baits: S-Waver 168 and 200, Deps 175, Savage gear glide swimmer

Big Bait: Deps 250, Rago Glideator, Hirshima trout, Matts Strong Shad 7.5

Hope this helps

If you're going to throw a "swimbait" in the surf my recommendation would be a punker. I guess you can argue a danny plug can be classified as a "swimbait" but I don't think too many people on SU are familiar with a danny.

Edited by pickle

Most swimbaits are not ideal for the surf.  The reason being is you need to be able to cast some distance into a strong head wind and the bait needs to be able to fish through the rough surf.  Flat calm surf conditions are rare up here  but when you get them most stuff will work.

Traditional surf lures are going to catch you a lot more fish, however if you have to throw swimbatis, Hudds, triple trout, and MS. Slammers are good bets because they cast decent (but cast poor compared to surf plugs).  Topwater like Punkers again are not going to cast as good as a pencil popper and are hard to work through big waves.  Give it a go.  when the bite is hot it doesn't matter what you through if you can reach um. I have had some epic nights with wide open bites and fish on every cast from 8 to 25lbs.  

Edited by Nufo