Dobyns 806

Jdutton7441

My super duty wide spool feels good on my 795 - sportsmansoufitters had them for 149 shipped and if you leave something in your cart long enough they send you a $5 dollar purchase incentive. I have no experience with the other reels. The 6.4:1 Lews SDW has the same IPT and capacity as the Curado 300e. I also just tried the cardiff 300a on my 795 and it felt much better than I guessed it would given that its a round reel. 

I have a Lew's SD on my 795, already had it on another rod so I just did a little shuffling and used what I had. If I was buying a reel for it I'd definitely go with a SD wide spool. I have to be careful casting punker on my SD or I'll spool it.

Bit the bullet and went with the 795. Now need help with reel decision. Lew's Super Duty, Shimano Tranx, Tatula HD, or 13 Fishing A3.

Tatula HD. They are available for good prices on eBay and it's an amazing reel.

Most guys on this site know how much I love my 806, but  for the application you have spoken of I think an 806 wouldn't be a great option. To me, the 806 is  a treble hook rod. Its super parabolic, and struggles with jig hook style baits. SO for softballs I think you would regrets it. I love my 795, and think for the baits you have listed would be th best bet. If you become a hard bait guy then drop the 795 and get yourself a 806.

Matt got this right

I personally LOVE my 795 CXP and throw a lot of my baits on it, and have an IRod Bailey swim for bigger stuff.. BUT I think if you want one rod to throw a lot of stuff, go with that 806, unless you're willing to stray from dobyns and get a bailey swim.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how anybody could call this rod "too soft" for jig hook baits. I just got it to try during the memorial day sale and it's a beast! With some fluoro or braid with leader it would absolutely sure for both treble and jig baits.

You can definitely use it with jig hooks but you'll see the action alot better when you hook up on a fish and you'll see why a lot of guys think of it as a treble hook rod. Even with mono it loads throughout the whole blank. Way more moderate than single hook jig guys like. But it's more of a personal style thing

Yeah it's definitely a different action then my champ 806. Guess i will have to catch one first and see cuz right now it's hard to believe it will load throughout. I like it though for sure.

My bad I was referring to the champ 806 not the fury. I kinda assumed that the actions would be similar just as it looks like alot of other guys did. I'd be interested to hear the differences in actions between the two though. That would be useful to guys down the road

Edited by MA Frog Man

• 4 months later...