History of the Gigantoid

Rod Thigpin

funny that this popped up today after the whole 30 acre and mattlures glide shads pics came out

was some good reading while eating my lunch, thread seems to be highly edited and post missing.

Where are these pics at?

there are pics of the matlures one on the front of SU in the instagram section...fish 30 acres which looks identical in the pics is on their webpage, or at least that is where i saw them at.

There is no drama with the shad baits. Mine is still very much a prototype and I am in no hurry with it. It sounds like the 30 Acre bait will be available soon. Nobody is claiming to have been copied.

Someone needs to get this man an IP lawyer and protect your intellectual property. If I lived out in Cali I would find someone to represent you. Once that matter is settled and your proof is validated by our great nation you can attack those that knock you off. I have had friends turn on me not in the way you have had but I understand the pain. If no one protects the great minds that put out the amazing baits then there will be no reason for innovation. That's my piece on the matter from what I can glean from the posts. Thieves should be called out and made public, new section perhaps about those that do other bait makers wrong????

Just finished reading this thread for the first time. Ha wow this is what happens when you only get one side of the story. Before all of this happened. About 12 years ago I had made an 8 and a 10in dead stick bait of a similar but much more ugly then my current design. A while after that, Probably a couple years, Mark sent me a rubber tuna and asked me to make a mold for him so he could make a bait out of it. So I did. Mark then made a finished bait with a wooden core  and sent it to me and I painted it for him. It was very crude. Sometime around this time Huddleston had released his big floating dead stick trout and Rago had posted pictures on Calfishing of his big floating dead stick trout. Then about 6 years later I made my 13in deadstick bait. I started showing some fish I caught with it. Mark contacted me and told me I should name it the Giagantoid. Unknown to me was that Mark had shown his tuna bait to rod and called it the Giagantoid. Then Rod contacted me and told me he invented the bait before me. He also said he never released it and only showed a few guys. He believed Mark showed me his design when he sent me the rubber tuna and he was up set about it and he was really upset about the name Giagantoid. I had never seen one of Rods baits before and then he sent me a picture of his bait. I had seen the Hudd and the Rago but not Rod's. My bait looked nothing like his and even my core was completely different from Rods The only similarity was that they were both floating soft trout. Mine had an open mouth and flared movable fins and was much thicker and it was painted. Rods was basically a Stocker trout with out the joint and wings. Durring that time this all blew up, Rod was in bad health. We talked on the phone just about each day for a week. He was most upset about the 13in deadstick bait that I was planning on releasing because his big floater had been his secret weapon and he was really upset that I was using Giagantoid as its name. So out of respect for him I told him I just wouldn't make anymore of the 13 in deadstick baits(Giagantoids) and to this day I still haven't. I gave away most of the few I had made.  And then I went another direction completely and made my dead twitch. and my other dead stick baits. The rest is history :)

Hey Dick Thompson,

You don't know how hard you made me laugh, when you talked about me pulling out that chewed up piece of crap and tied it onto your line. I can only imagine what was going threw your mind? That poor bait had probably had a 150 fish on it. It looked like it had been in fight with a pitbull then fed to piranhas. HA HA. As you've grown to know me now, you know I don't retire a bait until it dies a tragic death to a cold hearted largemouth :-) Who would have known a chewed up chunck of rubber would've resulted in us becoming best friends. I've been very lucky to have found friends from all over the world from the sport of fishing!

Also reminds me of my good buddy Doc Holiday, he has been a great friend to me for many, many years. And was one of the pioneers of swimbait fishing. I have a ton of respect for the guy!!!!! The first day he ever fished a wormking swimbait, way, way back in the day he caught a 14 pound bass out of Casitas. Came back the next day and he had a 13.9 and a 11 1/2. Lets just say he was hooked on swimbaiting. We were all learning how to fish these baits. Because there were very few guys out there doing it! I think that's why it made it so much more fun, because it was new and inovative. Doc and I live two hours away from each other and was still able to become best of friends! Purely just from chasing a big green fish and having the same passion for the sport.

Doc about four years ago, had one one of my 10inch Stocker Trout swimbaits that he had caught so many fish on that he had lost count of fish on it, he also had nicknamed it swimmy :-) He would call me after a day on the water telling me he was hot knifing swimmy and patching her up for another day on the water. Once again the fish had given her a beating. I would tell him, you have 6 other brand new ones in your tackle box why don't you use a new one? He said he and swimmy had been to good of friends to put her away!!! LOL So, one day I get a phone call from Doc, in a upset voice Doc tells me he has really bad news for me? As you can imagine my heart sunk. I was thinking the worst. Then he tells me SWIMMY IS DEAD!!! I told him what the heck and started busting up laughing. I said you scared the heck out of me. He just laughed. He'd just left lake pyramid and had caught a handful of big stripers. He was swimming swimmy in about 30 feet of water when he got this big thump, the fight was on. When the fish got to the net it was a 22 pound striper and it had killed swimmy :( All he had left was the front half of the bait. We got a great laugh out of it. I told him I'm sorry to hear about his loss. I guess you'll have to break out a new buddy to fish. But he is like me, they get fished until they die a horrible death from a crule, green, slimmy sucker.

I've made a lot of good friends in this sport over the years and hope to make more in the future! I hope all of you are lucky enough to find the same enjoyment and make great friends like I have through this sport! This was fun taking a trip down memory lane! When I get a chance, I'll post up some photos of some old school baits that helped pave the way for all the new swimbaiters out there today.

Hope you guys are out on the water today catching fish! I'm sitting on the couch watching it rain :)

Thanks

Rod Thigpin

Rod, your post come thru like a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day. After reading all the negativity before your first post, you came along just in time. I was reaching for my jar of headache relief, when you took the headache & heartache away. God bless & thank you. :-)