phat pats or pats lures

GoblinSlayer

Weren't you just talking s$&t on roman made in another thread? If you can dremel them why do you have so many? Not being rude I'm just curious. Now the same deal with pats. Personally I think the pats and slammers are not pretty lures but they catch. Pats just limits what and who he sells to and it makes them more in demand. I don't like the business practice myself.

Im not talking ish about roman mades on any post num nuts- look backbat that post and look at the pic and see for yourself the differences. The hand cut hand made is concerning if you paying top dollar for high quality vs some cheaply madely made baits.

And to clarify a lil more. I love the roman mades i have already. If this new cut/ design is going to be the next generation batch - i will not buy anymore of this generation and keep buying the previous design. Not bashing on roman made just stating a personal perferance

Paid $75 for my mini pats and have had guys offer $350 without hesitation

Coming from a pats owner it is my "go to" bait in most instances but it does become hard to put down knowing how well it produces.  Ive fished it in New jersey, New york, Virginia, Florida Vermont and Maine and have had excellent results.  That doesn't mean Ive had days where it didnt produce.  

One definitive memory of my pats was fishing in NJ I saw 2 dudes picking apart a lay down using worms and jigs... 2 casts with the pats and BOOM pulled a nice 4lber out from the lay down.  I'll never forget the look on their faces 

It is a wake and crank bait so it can be used to "combine" fishing techniques for some who may not have the option of bringing multiple poles.  For instance you can fish it at night and use it as a top water.  Otherwise you can fish it like a shallow water crank.  With the help of suspension strips you can get it down a few more feet and even make it suspend in the right temperature.

I do not know "Pat" to be honest I messaged him on SBU 3 years ago and it was a "Right place right time" kind of situation.  In terms of how to obtain one I'm afraid I cannot offer any help 

All i was wanting was performance feed back and i got it. Sounds like a good lure to use! As far as keeping on a shelf and showing it off- probly not the best chosen one for that but as performance wise ,,,,it does sound promising! Now i admit i dont fish swimbaits 100% of my time on the water, bit when i do i want to know i have the confidence in my lure as well as my technique. I know my lake well and it has gaven me a teener already and chances at some more. So with all that when i do obtain one it wont be my go to,, itll be another tool for a special time and place when i do decide to throw it. Thanks everybody for the input i do appreciate it.

I got sucked right into the Pats hype myself. Have had 5 of them. Do they catch bass? Yes. Better than another crank down? No. The reason why you see a lot of fish caught on them is because people in the New England area are completely obsessed with the hype of these baits and when they mortgage their house to get one, it's all they throw. These baits are not worth a single penny more than they go retail (75 for a regular Pats) and based upon the way the maker does buisness, a person's money is better spent supporting a more reasonable bait maker. But if you can get one for retail, not a bad bait.

I got sucked right into the Pats hype myself. Have had 5 of them. Do they catch bass? Yes. Better than another crank down? No. The reason why you see a lot of fish caught on them is because people in the New England area are completely obsessed with the hype of these baits and when they mortgage their house to get one, it's all they throw. These baits are not worth a single penny more than they go retail (75 for a regular Pats) and based upon the way the maker does buisness, a person's money is better spent supporting a more reasonable bait maker. But if you can get one for retail, not a bad bait.

Haha..i know we've had our differences but I'm behind this statement 1000%

No need for any more comments in this thread. Amen.

• 6 months later...

agreed! it would be a helluva lot different if he sold them 150 bucks and on a regular basis! none of this impossible to get  ish. 

personally they are just another tool in the box of tricks.  i would never flip my ish and be obsessed with it, and join the hype train. its just another fuckin bait! yea it cranks good and wakes and they have different styles. but the fact that its a "Not Allowed" to get.  screw that aint worth my time! i have one and rarely fish it, when i do put effort in i dont get bit.  SLAMMERS ALL DAY!!!  i get ish for all the time for not following the hype ish train. Yes i am a massachusetts angler as well.

they got great action to it like i said! when people get it they dont fish anything else and thats why people think they are magic! id rather not focus on one bait. i want to learn all the baits i got and figure out their time and place! thats what being a good angler is right! not some of these goons that fish only a pats and call them a swimbait god

Edited by bassturds

Pat’s looks a LOT like a slammer to me. Some slight difference for sure, but I suspect they’re similar enough that a bass wouldn’t care. Anyone have any side-by-side videos of a slammer vs. a Pat’s? Might be interesting. My personal thinking is there’s a LOT of hype around Pat’s. But I’ve been wrong about a lot of other stuff.

Pat showed up at a annual outing of folks from another website. I didn't know he was coming with baits and he let me mail him money. He is still a very humble guy....he reluctantly sold me two baits ( 1 per person) one of which I bought for a bud who couldn't make it since he cares for his aging parents. I didn't tell pat that just wanted to do a good thing.......I have always said the bait intrigues peeps because it is not a bait you would buy if you saw it on a shelf....and yet some of my most memorable hits have been on the splashdown and one handle turn crank....I am pretty sure I had the lake record on this postspawn, but the fish hit boatside and I could not get hooks into her since my cranking rod has alot of flex. I found a cove loaded with high 4s and they all hit mid retrieve but not the big big mama....my buddy was in awe by the sudden 6 fish flurry in this pressured lake but he still doesn't get it. Lol. This is pats in a nutshell.

Pat showed up at a annual outing of folks from another website. I didn't know he was coming with baits and he let me mail him money. He is still a very humble guy....he reluctantly sold me two baits ( 1 per person) one of which I bought for a bud who couldn't make it since he cares for his aging parents.

Next time you run into him ask him if he'll sell one to your buddy that lives in VA. Or just grab one for me. PayPal ready. Thanks in advance.