Headed To minnesota

StriperAddict

Hey everyone.

Im going to minnesota for a family fishing trip at the end of june. Im hoping to get some advice on what baits I should bring/buy to hopefully stick some nice muskie and pike.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

We are going to lake winibigoshish.

Anthony, I don't have any personal experience on Winne for muskies, truthfully it's not known as a big numbers lake. However I have a friend who fishes there for big pike, he's not a swimbait guy, throws a lot of bucktails. Water is stained you will want bright colors. Pike in general like bright colors and will pretty much chew on anything. If you have the time I would consider taking a trip to Leech lake for muskies, it's also a big lake, hiring a guide wouldn't be a bad idea. I will be in Hackensack in the end of June, feel free to pm me anytime, maybe we can hook up, if nothing else I can maybe answer more questions.

Proven muskie lures, Cowgirls, bulldogs, Medusa's, any walk the dog 6" or bigger, big Whopper plopper, 8-12" suiks, any glide or swimmer 6" and bigger . That time of year muskies should be biting good, water temps rising , typically faster baits produce better. Practice figure eights. Muskies are notorious for eating baits at boat side, if so don't stop moving your lure for a while, they sometimes hang out below the boat and will come back for it. Baitfish patterns, perch, Cisco, golden shiner, carp/sucker.

Right on bro.

I really appreciate the help. Im a fisherman and love to catch anything that swims. I really want a big muskie but a big pike would be awesome.

We have 2 days of fishing so I plan on trying some of everything.

Im sure I will hit you up again as the trip nears maybe I can get some info from your buddy on the pike bite.

Thanks again

...still bored at work. After further thinking, water temps might be getting to where the big pike go deep, I'd bring some heavy lead head paddle tails 6" or so. Hudds obviously would be good but they WILL get shredded eventually. Both pike and muskie really like cabbage. I will talk to my buddy for some decent spots for you to try. I can't emphasize enough that if you truly want a muskie go to Leech or Cass Lake, both are close to Winnie.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a small update, all of the pike/muskie I have been catching lately have all been on the very edge of the weed lines also on pretty big drop offs like 5 feet down to 10 feet they will be waiting there for small baitfish come out from the weeds.

Wow thats awesome!!!

We are going to lake winnie for 3 days. Rented a cabin and boats for our time there.

Been told to go hit leech lake just not sure if i can make that happen.

I will be happy catching any fish but a big muskie would be the cats ass!!!

• 2 weeks later...