Followers are killin me...

ncstatefisher

What's up y'all, haven't been on in a while. Got a promotion at work and moved towards the NC Coast. The place I'm living has a 50 acre sandpit "lake" that is absolutely full of fish. I've lived here about a month and can go out with a ned rig and stick a fish pretty much whenever I want. Average 1.5-2lb footballs with a few 3-4lb class mixed in and I've caught one right at 5. A couple weeks back my girl hooked in to a fish that legitimately could have been low DD class on a chatterbait and she threw the bait on a "jump" (If you can call it that, the fat thing barely could get it's pectoral things out of the water, I was gutted when I saw the bait fly away from the fish)

Needless to say this instantly had me digging through the big baits so I can get to work sticking a hammer. The problem is, I'm traditionally used to swimbait fishing fairly stained/dingy water and this is extremely clear. There's a distinct weedline maybe 8-10' from the bank where you lose visability but it's close enough for me to see a follower taunting me. I've thrown a hudd 68 a good bit with little to no noticable interest, switched over to a gantarel and have had at least one follower a night for the past 4-5 days. Have done everything I know to do, switched up retrieves - turned it on a dime right at the weedline trying to get a reaction, etc. And have literally watched fish swim right up to it and bump it on the nose and swim away. So something is just not quite right with my color or presentation. 

I switched over to a giron to see if it was a size issue and last night about stroked out when I had a 7.5-8lb class fish follow aggressively three casts in a row shortly before dark but no sign of commitment. These fish are extremely well fed and as far as I can tell baitfish wise there are bream, crappie, and big schools of 3-4" shiners. There's a loooot of snot grass forming on the bottom so I'm pretty well stuck to topwater/suspending baits. 

Any and all advice on how you would approach this situation is appreciated. The challenge has been fun but I'm ready to figure out the missing link on these followers... Half tempted to make the depps plunge as I haven't found many snags yet. 

Conditions: Clear visibility, snot grass

Baitfish: Bream, Crappie, Shiners

Fish Health: Extremely Fat

Baits thrown: Hudd 68, MS Slammer, Gantarel, Giron

This doesn't follow the whole "swimbaits or nothing" mantra but keep a rod with you that's rigged up with a fluke or senko. If you see a fish hesitate to bite your swimbait, tossing something completely different to them is often the trigger. This also works the other way around. Not getting commitment on a spinner? Show em a triple trout. I'm no expert though, just a technique I've found to work

Yeah I've used that method in the past especially with topwater throwing a wacky senko or fluke right behind it, works great but man I want one of these hogs on a big bait now that I know they're in there!! Been only taking the one rod but if I see too many more big fish taunting me I might cave lol

2 weeks ago I had one  on the battles shad bite it twice but spit it out in a split second and then wouldn't commit anymore and just followed the bait along the shoreline, I tried a Vatalion, Shellback customs, and a top water and nothing. I gave the battles shad one more try but instead of a straight retrieve I popped it a few times as it passed him, on the 2nd pass he chomped it. Good luck out there!

It sounds like you've fished the lake at dusk - have you tried it late at night?  Or maybe on a day where there's enough wind to put a chop on the water?  The fish will still be able to find the lures, but might not get a chance to give it the 3rd degree inspection.

It sounds like you've fished the lake at dusk - have you tried it late at night?  Or maybe on a day where there's enough wind to put a chop on the water?  The fish will still be able to find the lures, but might not get a chance to give it the 3rd degree inspection.

What Fish Dr. said...

Try using a ROF 0 8" hudd with a small nail weight to get it just under the surface. You will catch something good. The hard baits get a lot of followers but if you find fish that are touching it, they're probably too smart to get with a hard bait. The Hudd will fool them when nothing else will.

I'd try it. It's worked well for me when I need something near the surface in really clear water and with big smart fish.

Try using a ROF 0 8" hudd with a small nail weight to get it just under the surface. You will catch something good. The hard baits get a lot of followers but if you find fish that are touching it, they're probably too smart to get with a hard bait. The Hudd will fool them when nothing else will.

I'd try it. It's worked well for me when I need something near the surface in really clear water and with big smart fish.

I'd pay attention to this.  Jace has a history of putting lots of big fish on the deck.