Tranx 300a vs Curado 300e, who ya got?

CrystalCoaster

Greetings

Looking for some feedback from people who've fished BOTH reels, or at the very least have some good water time with the new Tranx 300 size.  Both are running about the same price on flea bay, and the Curado obviously has more used inventory as well as searchable anecdotal reviews/opinions.  

So far TRANX all day... I have 2 in the 5.8 Ratio...

Zero issues and they are getting abused multiple days a week

Tranx Feels a lot better fishing than my previous Curado 300's... More compact.

So far very similar mechanically and functionally...Tranx gets my vote

So far TRANX all day... I have 2 in the 5.8 Ratio...

Zero issues and they are getting abused multiple days a week

Tranx Feels a lot better fishing than my previous Curado 300's... More compact.

So far very similar mechanically and functionally...Tranx gets my vote

I haven't really dug deep on the guts of these things, but I know the Curado's were always well regarded.  

This thread is getting a little off the original intent of comparing the Curado 300/301 with the Tranx 300/301 by guys that have actually fished both.  If anyone here has used both the Tranx 300 and 400 series, I'd like to hear your opinion on both.  Again comments by people  actually fishing them only.

Just got the 300hg. Changed out the handle and went fishing. 7.6-1 vs 5.8-1 is a personal preference so read up

on the specs and make the best decision for you. Very smooth, solid feeling reel. Plenty of spool adjustments to get what you want.

It's a little heavier and smaller compared to my Curado 300's. Feels totally different. The drag curve is steep compared to the 300 Curado

with way more top end. I need more time to get a better feel for it but it was comfortable to use and I look forward to more time on the water with it.

I felt like my curados were all good good reels. The tranx is similiar but smoother all around. And the tranx has tighter tolerances with their parts. All tranx models are faster reels. Dont know where some guys are getting the idea the curado is faster. They are not...

• 2 years later...

Well, I have the green Curado 300E - and just got the TranX 300A (5.8:1 ratio). The Curado has been great, and I’ve just replaced some bearings to get it back near “new” condition - but “new” is still 8. years old, and I’ve done some fishing with the TranX 200, and REALLY like it. At this point I have the Curado 200 and 300, and the TranX 200 and 300 rigged up on the four go-to rods, so we shall see...

I have had both. I went back to my 300E. The Tranx retrieve feeling was way smoother. I do however almost like the old gear retrieve feeling almost like i can feel i’m retrieving the bait. Just personal preference. The other issue I had with the Tranx  is the thumb bar. I didn’t like how I felt the thumb bar support on the side after i depressed the bar. At the end of the day I almost formed a blister. I’ve never heard anyone else take issue with that though. If the tranx  had a different thumb bar I most likely would have a 300 and 400.