What do you think of Zombait?

kennyisnotdead

I've been following Zombait since their kickstarter campaign. They finally started selling them and they are at icast this year. It looks like it could be a promising option for large bass. 

If you're not familiar with it. You put it in dead bait and its gives it a swimming presentation. They had a guy on youtube who does all the pike lure testing and the pike held on for 10 seconds or more before figuring out something was up. He doesn't use hooks so the pike naturally held on to it. 

It's definitely not a swimbait. However, for pursuing giants I think we have a good option for running a line off the side of the boat.

Okay for salt water I guess but....

If a catch any of my friends or family members who consider themselves legit bass fisherman with that garbage anywhere near my boat I will drop them off at the closest land / shallow area I can find. If you have fished hard for years and moved to swimbaiting for the challenge and the potential for big bass and you decide to pick up a zombait you have experienced a deep and profound bass fishing regression. Just my opinion.

Why dont you just fish live bluegill,crawdads,shiners, etc seems like it would be better for saltwater applications in my opinion

You realize they'll all die in salt, right?

Anyway, I'm with no go on concept. Both, actually. I do not agree with live bait. I do not agree with simulation either. No sport.

You realize they'll all die in salt, right?

Anyway, I'm with no go on concept. Both, actually. I do not agree with live bait. I do not agree with simulation either. No sport.

I think he meant why not just use those fish as live bait in freshwater. He's saying that it's a better saltwater product because they use more bait. Not to use freshwater bait in saltwater.

I got a prototype and built one into a 12 inch non jointed soft deadstick trout.  It looked incredible. I was sure I was going to catch every big bass that saw it. Nope I got some lookers but no takers. I think the noise might have turned them off. However it died pretty quick and there was no way to recharge it ( it was a prototype). I sent it back because it was dead. I think the production models are rechargable. If so I am going to try it again. It looked so good

I think that mattlures' post makes it pretty clear that t could be used in swimbait fishing just not in live bait. I don't really support it in that I'm not responsible for imparting action to the bait. Definitely thinking outside the box. Now if I could only get one inside a senko then I would unstoppable haha

Haha live bait no challenge lmao..... tell that to Manabu Kurita

I have to agree with this.  I know one guy who fishes both swimbaits and live bait for bass, and I can tell you that the way he does it requires as much skill as much of swimbaiting.  I really only use live bait when I have to drill a hole in the ice, but thats my personal preference.  A good live bait fisherman uses a lot more skill than the guys who go out after dark and just crank a wake bait along the shore.  I'm not knocking that if thats what you like to do, but read Bill Murphy's "In Search of Giant Bass" and then tell me there's no skill to live bait fishing.  Again, I choose to use artificials myself but I doubt it requires more skill than Bill Murphy used stitching a live crawfish.  Whatever floats your boat.

I have to agree with this.  I know one guy who fishes both swimbaits and live bait for bass, and I can tell you that the way he does it requires as much skill as much of swimbaiting.  I really only use live bait when I have to drill a hole in the ice, but thats my personal preference.  A good live bait fisherman uses a lot more skill than the guys who go out after dark and just crank a wake bait along the shore.  I'm not knocking that if thats what you like to do, but read Bill Murphy's "In Search of Giant Bass" and then tell me there's no skill to live bait fishing.  Again, I choose to use artificials myself but I doubt it requires more skill than Bill Murphy used stitching a live crawfish.  Whatever floats your boat.

let me rephrase.In general, using live bait takes 0 skill.None.As long as you know how to reel in a fish your good to go.Of course you CAN apply skill to it,just as you can anything else.I can apply skill to opening a pickle jar.But in general it's much easier than fishing artificial baits.