Trying to get started

ldf

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place new to forums as well as fishing. My dad gave me an old Quantum 1420 mg baitcaster with a 5:1 ratio. Would this be a good starter reel to start throwing swimbaits on. Im trying to find a use for this reel/ and get into swimbaits.  I know virtually every thread I read says Cardiff or Lexa or C3/4 but if anyone could give me any suggestions on how to make this Quantum into a swimbait rig Id love to hear any and all comments. Also accounting into line, rod length and power, and what oz baits and type of baits  it could be good for. Thanks!

http://rs589.pbsrc.com/albums/ss334/maurosds/QUANTUM1420MG01_zps2f46bc76.jpg~c200

Hey, if it works, use it. That said, you've got some shopping to do. I would humbly suggest maybe figuring a modern reel into equation while you're at it. If you truly want the most out of this passion, it would be wise to give yourself the best chance at doing so. Labor Day sales are right around the corner, good time to acquire, no need to go crazy. I suspect you'll be best served asking forum basically what you just did, but with a budget you can and are willing to afford. I also suspect you'll find, as do most of us, that you get out of this sport what you put into it. Good luck.

If you have the funds get the best you can but if you don't then use what you have and build your setup 1 piece at at time.

My first setup was a spinnerbait rod with the tip snapped off (the previous owner called it junk I called it customized ...lol) paired with a old Shimano Canean. It was rather caveman but it caught plenty of good fish. As I grew in the sport I've build a setup that suits me well, mostly with the help of awesome SU members.

Best of luck and enjoy the new journey.

http://swimbaitunderground.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42623-raffle-for-a-cause-20/page-3&do=findComment&comment=334974

$5 donation gets you a ticket and winner gets there choice of IROD as well as everything in the thread. Welcome to SU

You might look into these 

www.tacklewarehouse.com/ONE3_by_13_Fishing_Defy_Black_Swimbait_Casting_Rods/descpage-CHSW.html

I have no experience with them personally but mostly good reviews and at $80 its a solid start and not much money lost if you decide to upgrade or move away from swimbaits.