Fishing deep water

BrhodesBassin

Today I fished a small extremely clear lake with lots of tall weeds. It's pretty much a quarry and is primarily hard bottom. It's known to be a tough lake even for the conventional guys and most people catch there fish on drop shots in the 30ft range. 

That's ALOT deeper then I ever fish and am wondering how the more experienced guys would go about fishing that deep in the summer. 

Also it is only accessible from the bank or kayak/canoe style watercraft. No motors are allowed at all.

TW has Warbaits skirted swim jigs all the way up to 2 oz.  Pair the jig up with something like a 7" Big Hammer softball.  Its not much different than fishing a heavy football jig with a  craw trailer.

I fish Hudds and top-hook Rising Sons in 20+ FOW. If the fish are holding close to the bottom, I sometimes swim-shot a floating savage gear trout.

I saw a video about swim shot fishing not too Long ago. I'll be trying this for sure once I get a depth finder rigged up on the yak

Deep grass is a pain in the butt to fish. Bait luvs it tho. Try to find the edge of it, that is where the bass wait. We have that scenario in a couple of clear trout lakes here and a long leader drop shot is only method I know to fish cleanly.

So you mind if i ask what style baits your drop shotting?

So you mind if i ask what style baits your drop shotting?

Hey Brandon, I don't fish deep as much as I should and am going to give it a full go this season (our season only starts in September)
Unless you want to fish straight down I'd suggest using a double fluke type rig with the 1st fluke replaced with a weight. This allows a more horizontal approach. 
I.e. you can cast it out a distance, let it sink and fish it back just off the bottom. With a dropshot you can only really fish vertically or it gets snagged.

Trick is to get a lure that floats but isn't too buoyant. If its too buoyant it floats tail up.

Check out these 2 quick videos: