Soft plastic swimbaits

mcaetano2905

I need help!

Because I don't have much money and also I'm trying to simplify, to really learn a few baits well and not keep changing baits because I'm not getting bit, I would like to ask you what soft plastic swimbaits would you choose if you could choose only one to fish year round, but specially for the colder months, since I've had success during the summer using the S-Waver 168 and the Gantarel Jr!

I fish different types of lakes, from small lakes to huge reservoirs, very deep and shallow lakes, rocky lakes without much vegetation and also very weedy lakes. Generally the water clarity goes from about 2 or 3ft to over 20ft, but sometimes it may be muddy.

The bass here are northern strain and not very big. I would say a trophy is a bass over 4lbs and my PB is a 5lb bass I caught 15 years ago! A 6 or 7 lb bass is very rare. The main forage fish of big bass is pumpkinseed sunfish around 4" and a fish similar to hitch/shad/shiner from 4 to 6".

I fished weedless 6" hudds without any success... Maybe a 68 is better to fish here. Has anyone had success fishing the 68 Hudd in lakes where bluegill/sunfish is the main forage? Fished Mattlures U2 Bluegills in pumpkinseed color many times over the last years but didn't had any bite, and the bait just looks like the pumpkinseed bass eat here. All Mattlures U2's I've had didn't swim right. Maybe it's because of that. I'll try boiling them. The 5.8" Keitech is an option too and it's cheap. 

4 inch Keitechs on a 1/4 bright gold arkie ballhead jig hook are money for both bass and crappie. I bought a giant bag from arkie I luv em so much....it took me about a decade to really gain confidence with the hudd...but I would highly recommend the hudd 68 in a perch pattern for beginners but try to stay slow...ditto on soft Matts, despite what utube vids do I think they r meant to be jig baits....

I started throwing Big Hammer swimbaits about a dozen years ago mainly for saltwater striped bass but soon found that both largemouth and smallmouth liked them just as much.  They don't cost a lot and they come in million colors and a bunch of sizes.  They are also very versatile since you can buy a few different weight Hammer jigheads to enable you to work different depths.  I've cashed a lot of tournament checks with those baits.

Also you might give the Mattlures gills another try now that he has the new tail design.  It gives more thump, but more importantly you can pause the retrieve and have the bait sink in a nice natural manner.  The older tail design tended to make the bait corkscrew on the pause.  It has a better swimming action and you can still use it as a bottom jig if you want.