Help me out on soft baits...

ncstatefisher

So I kinda did the swimbait thing a little backwards. I know most people start with soft baits but I've gotten comfortable with hard baits, particularly glides and wakes, but I never spent much time on soft plastics. I've caught two and missed a couple bites on a hudd 68 and plan to pick up an 8" going in to the winter (any color recommendation here is great too, I'm kinda thinking ayu or yellow perch), but I want to expand my soft bait arsenal and try something new before then. I do have several savage line thru trout in 8 & 10" from my striper days in SC.

The 50 acre pond I fish has very clear water and submerged grass beds, I get a ton of followers on the glide (lately I've been putting in work on the ones committing) but I do see a fair number of them mouth the back of the bait and spit it and lose interest once they realize it's hard. So far as baitfish there's white perch, a variety of bream, crappie, shiners, and there may even be shad but I haven't seen them yet. 

Given the conditions I'd love any and all recommendations on a couple baits to add to the arsenal and what size owner beast to rig them with. I've seen a lot of positives on here about the osprey and the 3:16 rising son - are these the best bets to start with or am I missing a hidden gem out there?

Thanks in advance!!

I would try the Savage Gear Line Thrus you already have. Are they the 3D Trout? The 8" slow-sink in dark trout was my first soft plastic swimbait and I still love it! It swims great and looks very realistic in the water.