Mid-day, hot weather bank fishing

timcauliffe

Horrible title.

What are you guys throwing mid-day (noon) on hot days (80-90 degree) weather from bank? Generally 72-75+ degree water temps.

I know fish will typically go deeper in warmer water for the most part, but would love to hear what you guys are doing on days like these. Cloudy and open skies.

This may sound a bit counter-intuitive, but my brother and I have had success creeping topwater gill baits in clear, open water. Creeping as in pulling just enough to make the bait swim in place. There's no big commotion or reaction strike, the bass just come up and crush it!

Been wondering about this same topic pretty much. Up here in WA on the west side of the mountains we dont reach the mid to high 90s very often but its been a scorcher lately. Ive been having good success with glide baits during low light hours or if there is an overcast, but most of the time I quit when the sun gets hot and high. I start losing confidence thinking they wont want to move too far from the cooler depths or hiding places. I try to work shade lines, but there isnt much of that where I fish surprisingly. Is this all in my head or do I need to adjust? I know some of you guus down south get em in the hot sun so what are your thoughts?

I usually let the wind determine what I throw when it's hot during the middle of the day. I've had luck with glides if its windy, but have had more fish commit to slower-swimming baits if there isn't a ripple on the water.

The large bottom hook rising son is my confidence bait when the conditions are tough