Bank Fishing & Lure Knockers

Adam Gorrell

How's it going? I am normally a Kayak Fisherman and don't worry too much about getting hung up as I can usually get out of it but from the bank it's a different story. I am pretty hesitant on throwing sinking baits from the bank with the chances of getting hung up. For all you bank fisherman that use lure knockers, which one do you recommend? I'd rather go out with a fighting chance than no chance at all. I'd obviously go in depending on where I'm at but some areas that isn't really possible or another circumstance.

Unfortunately the proper use of a bait knocker depends on being right above the bait so the knocker has the velocity to go straight down the line and hit/tangle the bait. The angle of line from shore is usually not very good for knockers. Ive tried a few times with no success myself. Not saying it's not worth trying though.

I have this same one, it works very well, from a boat. Seems lure knockers aren't very effective from shore

Edited by evilcatfish

From the bank? Really?

It depends on the situation I guess. depth and distance would be the 2 key factors. If its too shallow it might not knock it loose but you still have a chance of snagging your hooks and bending them out to retrieve your lure. 

It depends on the situation I guess. depth and distance would be the 2 key factors. If its too shallow it might not knock it loose but you still have a chance of snagging your hooks and bending them out to retrieve your lure. 

I'm strictly looking at how heavy that one is (or any of them for that matter).

The line bend that thing would create would severely limit your ability to make it to your lure. Couple that with the resistance it will encounter once it enters the water and well, it aint gonna make it for the most part. Hopefully you get a mental pic of what I'm getting at.  

I know exactly what you mean. Here in Az most of the places I fish from have steep drops maybe that's where my bad info is coming from. If you're fishing from a shallow shore that goes out someways then the knocker would not be effective. Ive only used the retriever once from a bank and it got my bb rigged hudd back.

Swim trunks...bait knockers are not designed to work from shore...but you might get lucky sometimes

Waders in the winter...just pee as you walking in if water is too cold...you won't be warm for long but better than nothing