Swimbait History Question

The Reel McCoy

I'm just curious, who made the first big jointed hard bait? Must've been some sort of split plug for stripers. Some of you old dudes might be shaking your head at this question but it isn't my fault I didn't get to choose when I was born haha!

I'm just curious, who made the first big jointed hard bait?

Creek Chub started making baits in 1916. I think this can legitimately be called a swimbait. And, one of their baits holds the current world record.

post-18711-0-79027100-1502333621_thumb.jpg

Edited by Top Ramen

These three measure 7.5, 5.5 and 3.5 ..... I began collecting old bass lures about 25 years ago

Don't have a lot ... Probably a dozen or so... Likely more value to me than on the market...

A little history ....

post-28048-0-01759800-1502343590_thumb.jpeg

LOL Bigpoppa - you need to brush up on your fishing history.  Rapalas weren't around in the USA until 1960.  There were already countless artificial lure companies established before then selling what was certainly millions of baits prior to 1960.  

Prior to 1900 there were lots of companies (Chapman, Pepper, Buel, Comstock, Lowe, Enterprise, etc) producing mostly metal baits but also some in cork and wood.  By 1920 big lure companies like Heddon, Creek Chub, South Bend,  Pflueger, Moonlight, and many others were well established with broad product lines.  Rapala is a relative newcomer in artificial lure history.  My father, uncles, and their friends all fished lots of artificial lures for bass before Rapala came along.