Losin it.

Low&Slow

I've lost a few BBZ'z a while back and thought that suuuucked. Wasn't until casting off my first 250 it hit me how bad a bait loss sucks. Icing on the cake was the second I casted my 250 off, my buddy Fatfishslayer hooked into a fatty and his new pb striper 100yds away. I can hear them shouting joy and happiness while I'm circling around trying to find something that resembled my bait and telling myself I wont drown if I jump overboard..... It sucked! It beat me up for a few weeks and my fishing suffered because of it. I've lost a few nice baits since. Its all part of the game. Worst  loss was a Hinkle on a 20-25# stripe a few feet from the boat. That one hurt the most cause that particular one was responsible for my PB (I should've just hung that one).  I've since then rebuilt a strong arsenal of baits I frequently use. It makes your life a bit easier and less stressful with the concept of "ish happens". 

So glad I live and fish in an area that doesn't require me to chuck and wind.. I've lost 2 inexpensive baits due to cast off and that was 3 years ago.. the only other recent loss was a snag and no way am I going into a river with current after $100 bait

So far (2) OG Deps 250's, one in Flash Carp and one in Butch Brown Natural Trout...Also a 3:16 Glide Shad I was lucky to get and lost it the first time out...Threw my Mother off once and was able to swim for it and retrieve it...Also broke off a Baitsmith Mag in a teeners mouth...That ish made me cry, lost my bait and PB all in the same instance...

Devastated when I lost one of the original Matt's hard Perch swimbaits . That thing was a very solid performer and one of the first big swimbaits I aquired. In addition to that I 've lost a couple of hard gills, which if you haven't already figured I love Matt lures so now I have a nice little " school " of his hard baits in various sink rates so I have another available when ish happens.

One other one that hurt bad is a custom painted Bullshad that Dwain Batey painted for me , a beautiful Golden Shiner  color . I had this in the 5" & 6" size, unfortunately cast off the 6" a few years back and this shade was perfect for one lake I frequent as it would consistently get bit. Seems like an easy fix, right ? Unfortunately I sent some others to get painted with the 5" sample that I sent , the bummer is that the paint needed to duplicate this was discontinued and though the substitute has caught some fish it seemed to lack the magic the previous bait had . Now they have added tiger muskies to this lake and because they were recently introduced these toothy critters to this lake they are ridiculously aggressive and I 'm afraid to throw the 5"  though I just might have to live dangerously and fish it anyway . 

Edited by Primus

This one day when I was younger I was beating the bank. with my new swimbait setup. I lost both of my hudds(the only real swimbaits I owned at the time), then proceeded to break the gears in my reel making it inoperable and finally while walking back the reel seat on my rod broke. As a result in one day my entire swimbait game went away.