Conquest

Shimano77

I borrowed a Friends Conquest 300 and used it for a few weeks-At the time I had 2 Tranx...

I liked the Conquest a lot but certainly didn't feel it was worth twice the price of a Tranx

I ended up getting a 3rd Tranx and more swimbaits

I like the new conquest, I have the 400 size. It’s the smoothest reel I’ve ever fished and it’s a very small size for the line capacity that you get. I paid 380 brand new for mine, but I bought it directly from Japan(and I don’t mean from eBay or from a individual, I mean from an actual retailer). Is it worth the money? That’s a personal opinion that I’m sure varies from person to person. But for 380 brand new, it’s worth it to me.

Edited by swole_t

I don't own either of these reels but here's my general opinion on swimbait reels.

I tend to think that aluminum round reels are more justified in their high price just because of the cost of materials that go into them. They tend to (generally) have stronger components and more aluminum in the frame and housing than low profile reels.

There are some really good low profile reels out there but they are few and far between IMO. As a general rule, I don't think low profile reels are worth the money that most are willing to pay for them. Doesn't mean people shouldn't buy them. If you like a reel and you're willing to pay a steep price, by all means go for it. I just tend to think that there isn't a significant enough upgrade from a $150 reel to a $350 low profile reel to justify the increase.

I tend to use mostly round reels for swimbaits but I do use some low profile reels for certain things.

I haven't tried all of the high capacity low profile reels on the market but I have tried a few and the only ones I feel confident in recommending to anyone are

Shimano Curado 300

Lews BB2

Everything else I've tried has just worn out too fast. These 2 are still trucking after years of rough service.

I'm not the final word on reels for sure so take this all with a grain of salt. It's just an opinion.

• 1 month later...