Dobyns 795 Fury for Hudd 68?

kscatman76

I have the Dobyns 795 Fury and an Okuma Guide Select Heavy.  I use the Okuma for Hudd 68's and Weedless Rising Sons.  I use the Dobyns for 6 inch bull shad's.   The Dobyns doesn't seem as still or powerful as the Okuma.  Would the 795 work for Hudd68's and Weedless Rising Sons also or should I trade or sell it for another Okuma? 

I believe that the 795 has the parabolic tip, someone correct me if I'm wrong.  My 795 and 806 feel the same in that sense.  The parabolic tip causes it to be a great rod for treble hook baits but a little more difficult to really drive in a single hook.  I would consider the daiwa dx swimbait rod in MH or H depending if you'll throw 8in hudds.

that was about my thinking to, I'm not sure with that tip that it can hammer home a hudd 68 or a WRS with a 10/0 beast hook.  Tell you what it's great for though and that is an Arig, it does great with it. 

The 795 will throw a 68 fine. I've used mine for WRS and other similar sized jig hook swimmers without issue.  I've always considered this rod to have a pretty fast action and good for soft baits. Tip might be a little soft but the rod has a solid backbone

Edited by evilcatfish

Got my first WRS fish on my 795 using 20lb PF copoly. Agree to point the rod at the bait for a good hookset. Hit the fish so hard that the beast hook went through the top roof of its mouth and took out one of its eyeball :shock: