The Hippopotamus

Craig

I'm trying my luck at pouring a urethane lure.

Going for a fat little bluegill shaped wake/ crank.

First step is to carve a blank so I did a quick outline of what I planned and hit the garage.

post-24776-0-35526000-1502948561_thumb.jpg

This is what I have so far. Quite happy with the carve. Might add scales a bit later but don't want to risk it now.

post-24776-0-18783000-1502948608_thumb.png

I am off to grab some mould making material. Hold thumbs.

My first pour didn't make it out the cup and the second wasn't mixed properly but the third came out great.

Evolution at work.

post-24776-0-13377700-1502997451_thumb.png

Swim test in the dark went well. Great crank and surprisingly good walk.

Next step; my first go with an airbrush...

Nice carve! I like that eye

Thanks Dave. So difficult get lure parts here so I've been messing about making my own 3D eyes. That one is one of my favourites, it keeps watching you as you move the lure. The pupil is actually 'raised' inside the domed eye but it's a mission to make

Craig nice carve & pour production!! Curious as to the tail material...any secrets??

Go Fish!!!

After I broke the tail off a G2 Shellcracker on the side of my pool on it's first test cast I vowed to make mine easy to replace. Eventually came up with printing them on overhead transparency sheets. I print it in mirror image, like a butterfly, then fold it double. That protects the print a bit and I can hold it place with a little pin. They are very detailed, translucent, flexible and surprisingly durable.

Check out this instagram pic of the same lure with 4 different tails. It really changes the look of the lure.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKGAKxEjSMQ/