Big rods

Jetfisherjohn

I always thought opposite. Parabolic action was better suited for treble hook baits. Fast action for jig hook style baits. Parobolic to keep treble hooked baits pinned during head shakes. Fast action to have a stiffer tip for better hook penetration.

See I'm very open to being corrected..fast action, power and taper are different..i mispoke..

Parabolic is an even flex thru the rod.. yes potentially to keep trebles pinned but without a moderate taper and a heavy power rating your 2# fish will feel like 10# and over power the rod.. this is the case if you've owned any st. Croix mojo series.. I've lost more fish on that trap caster then I can count due to its whole rod flex

I always thought opposite. Parabolic action was better suited for treble hook baits. Fast action for jig hook style baits. Parobolic to keep treble hooked baits pinned during head shakes. Fast action to have a stiffer tip for better hook penetration.

I'm certainly not drawing hard lines here. What works for me won't work for everyone, just sharing thoughts trying to help. As for myself, I gave up trying to sink big singles with fast or xfast or xxfast tips. Just doesn't work for me at distance. I've tried. Hook fails to penetrate sufficiently, they shake it off. Now, a good moderate action? I'll sometimes put it though bone.

Also, I was attempting to describe hookset between traditional moderate vs traditional fast action. I wasn't thinking parabolic. Ultimately, with respect to OP, when in doubt there's no harm going with a mod/fast action and split the difference. If using only one stick, this is what I would do.

Interesting topic, by the way. I look forward to reading others input. Peace, all.