Lexa issues

Mountainryan

Hey SU , I'm stumped. Bought a used lexa 300hl with a stock paddle handle off another user and threw some hawgtech bearings in. Couldn't be happier with the performance. Then I started to have another issue. Fairly regularly I will be casting and the clutch will engage. For all those doubters about braid breaking it's happened 15+ times full casting strength and hasn't sent my lures to the horizon. Is something worn like a return spring or pawl that's allowing the weight of the handle to engage? Any help would be appreciated. When it happens on a 5 oz bait it's a religious experience.

Ryan

This has been a thing with Daiwas for as long as I have thrown them.  Not sure a cleaning will fix it.  I have a fairly new one and it is already doing it as well.  The bigger problem is when it engages it tears up the pinion gear and the problem keeps getting worse.

I bought a 400 and 100 two years ago when I got a couple new sticks. The 400 I use all the time with the swimbaits and no issues at all. The 100 I use for lighter hard body lures like square bills and poppers and it has this same engaging issue quite often. If I cast it nice and easy it works fine but when I try to really whip it out there the thing engages and usually makes the lure pendulum back at me at a very fast speed. Not cool. The sound it makes is horrible and super loud! Damn near scared my buddy out of the boat the first time it happened. Sounds like the gears inside are just shredding themselves.

I think trevs right I think the handle is engaging. Out of any reel this one takes the least force to "pop" the thumb bar to engage, that could also be the problem. I've heard for other reels keeping the thumb down on the bar makes it not possible. Will just take practice

Bigslant for the win/ kinda sh@t talking lexas haha. Sounds like a known issue and still feel like I'm up for the little I paid for the reel. Would have gone abu if I could find the gear ratio I wanted at the time.

I don't own a Lexa but have developed a passion for power handles and SBS, especially waking baits. I think Trev is on the right track with the power handle possibly being an issue....the handle needs to be counterbalanced or reels can engage. It is a known issue/defect. Shimano even redid their handles to make em counterbalanced and a new one cost me $70 for my curado 300 versus $30 for old one. The abus r not counterbalanced but I did get a huge back lash using mine and that is weird to get with braid so it may have engaged on me thinking I did it by accident...otherwise I luv the handles and continue to use what I have on em.

Edited by bigpoppabass

For the record.. I've never owned one nor will I.. my experience is like Jesse said..i have over 30 Abu reels across the spectrum of price and performance.. U.S. and JDM..i have NEVER had any issues and I have NEVER performed bearing upgrades or heavy cleaning.. I'm too lazy.. some people have issues with every brand.. but for me.. the problems a lexa has with what's required for some to work properly is just not worth it imo..i have owned many daiwas and just sold my last 2 tatulas and they all have been fine.. so I'm not knocking daiwa either