Swimbait fishing must haves...

Dirtroadhound

Also make sure you have all the necessary licenses and boat safety equipment required.  Last year I was fishing a little 30 acre pond in a 12' jonboat with an electric motor.  I got pulled off the pond by a game warden because I didn't have a freakin' whistle (I did have all the other required equipment).  Bear in mind that this is a little pond with no ramp, houses, bridges or other boats on the water.  I thought I was going to get a $50 fine but the guy let me go as long as I would stop fishing & load the boat back in the truck bed and leave.  I now carry some cheap Walmart whistles in my tackle bags along with photostats of my license & registration in case I forget those.  An empty coffee cup can serve as a "bailing device" but if you happen to get a warden with an inferiority complex he can fine you if you don't have something like that.  It doesn't happen often but it will spoil your day if it does.

Also make sure you have all the necessary licenses and boat safety equipment required. Last year I was fishing a little 30 acre pond in a 12' jonboat with an electric motor. I got pulled off the pond by a game warden because I didn't have a freakin' whistle (I did have all the other required equipment). Bear in mind that this is a little pond with no ramp, houses, bridges or other boats on the water. I thought I was going to get a $50 fine but the guy let me go as long as I would stop fishing & load the boat back in the truck bed and leave. I now carry some cheap Walmart whistles in my tackle bags along with photostats of my license & registration in case I forget those. An empty coffee cup can serve as a "bailing device" but if you happen to get a warden with an inferiority complex he can fine you if you don't have something like that. It doesn't happen often but it will spoil your day if it does.

That is nuts. I do carry a loud manual horn in the big boat tho. Fog scares me and I also have horn button too, not taking the chance.

Edited by bigpoppabass

I think I would need a 55' Hatteras Fishing boat to take all these things with me.  This stuff would break my back or sink my Gheenoe if I were to take it all, but thanks for the recommendations.   I already have a lot  of this stuff from just baby bass fishing but several of these I did not think about.

A crying rag for when I lose a potential PB or triple figure bait. It also comes in handy for grabbing brand to break it when snagged, wrapping around punctures when trebles go into the wrong critter, and when you run out of TP (don't reuse the crying rag after that).

So far:

PMA (Positive Mental Attitude)

Extra line

Charged phone

Scale

Lure retriever

Polarized glasses and head lamp

Measuring tape / board

Toilet Paper/Wet wipes

Food/water/Gatorade/Smokes/Dip/Lighter

A device to hold fish on a scale. (Wet thick grocery store bags)

Large rubber net

One oar (if in a boat)

Sunscreen/hat

Thick cutters for hooks etc...

Leatherman

Spare hooks

knife/handgun

Long Pliers for when the bait gets way in the back of the mouth

Pencil boxes

necessary licenses/permissions if required or asked for

boat safety equipment required (if in a boat)

first aid kit

waders

rag (for crying or other uses)

backlash pick

I left out the repeats and a few other things, skinny jeans and vodka.  Some thing are obviously only if your are in a boat/tube/SUP.

Waynem I meant nuts a warden would dare to bother u about a whistle...btw, as for cutters, I have bought many but hands down knipex r the best and well worth it. I have had my pair for about 15 years and am still closing my eyes when I use em. Lol

Edited by bigpoppabass

Waynem I meant nuts a warden would dare to bother u about a whistle...btw, as for cutters, I have bought many but hands down knipex r the best and well worth it. I have had my pair for about 15 years and am still closing my eyes when I use em. Lol

Yup it was just so weird- if we were on a lake with a bridge I could see it, but this was a tiny pond surrounded by woods with one dirt road that ran along one end.  What the heck would I need a whistle for?  Lots of the EPOs are decent guys but a few just like to hassle people.