Braid-Noisey in Timber?

LUV-2-CATCH'EM

I throw the Hudd 68 a lot...almost allways on 20# Floro

But recently fishing water 40+ feet deep...Tons of timber to the top of the water column

I have been missing a lot of hookups-A lot of fish coming off at the boat...

Fishing in a lake with tons of timber I and constantly pulling the bait threw trees...up and over branches.

I think Braid is the solution to my "Long Distance" hookset problem...but my concern is that the braid is too noisy going over the branches.

I only say this because I have yet to get a single bite since switching!

Im using 65# Power Pro

Any thoughts? Nonsense?

i think there is significantly more noise when the line is under load.  For me personally i notice a lot of line noise coming through the guides-into the reel. So i can only assume that sound is amplified by the water if you are dragging along timber

I don't know... considering line out and same test to provide reliable hookset at similar distance otherwise, likely culprit is sag and flex of wood it's running accross. Less stretch would help, but with braid it'll cut in rather than run across the wood which is even worse. I'd consider sticking to FC and upsize test before using braid.

I think you should combine all the above suggestions into one. I'd definitely throw in a flouro leader with the braid. The braid going through the eyes might have some sort of vibration feedback in the water. Putting a tiny bobberstop above you're leader on the braid to deaden the vibration couldn't hurt. If you do go back to flouro I'd take a look at upping you're rod a power to drive those long hooksets home. Maybe even going a little longer on the rod. Interesting subject

Braid is definitely noisy in timber. Wired 2 Fish just recently posted a video about flipping flooded trees and said to go fluoro over braid because braid is noisy rubbing on the wood. I would at least try a long fluoro leader and see if that helps before making the switch back to full fluoro.

ive thrown the top hook shad with straight braid (40#) in some of my local rocky bottom ponds, banging it off boulders and wood, with decent success landing a handful of 3s & 4s. But variables always factor, 4 out of 5 have been at dusk or night, either during pre-spawn or fall transition into winter, and obviously the top hook shad is lighter and shorter than the 68. I do agree with Csweitzer that the visibility factor plays into it more than the vibration but I would lean more toward that in full light situations rather than dawn/dusk or night.

Water is very clear for Texas 10-12 foot visibility for sure...

I throw the 68 on a LDC 8'6" (XH) rated 3-8 Oz (Should be plenty stout but I could go stouter)

I Havent used the Floro Leader...Not a huge fan of the extra knot on bigger stuff

but I have used 65# Braid to 20Lb Floro Leader for my smaller 4.8 & 5.8 Keitechs and have gotten bites but FAR FEWER than straight 16# floro (I did this as a test when I became Suspect of the Braid killing my Hudd 68 bite)

Going to give all above suggestions a shot... Thanks SU!

Water is very clear for Texas 10-12 foot visibility for sure...I throw the 68 on a LDC 8'6" (XH) rated 3-8 Oz

That's funny because 8'6" was what I was going to suggest to get you that extra power on the set but you got that covered already. On the other hand did this problem start after you started using the 8'6"? I know you said you were having a problem with fish at the boat. Maybe a little too much length on the rod? Just a thought. Another thought is what type of flouro were you throwing? Would switching to a stiffer line help maybe? I think you'd be better off getting bites with flouro and working out the kinks than switching to braid and not getting bites.

Yea Adam-never lost a fish before switching to the more Parabolic LDC... In the past I strictly using the Dobyns 867 and now that I think about it I never lost a fish on it and it is a bit stiffer as well...

I have been using Segar Invesix and like it a lot but maybe it's a contributing factor? I never thought about one floro having more stretch than another...which brand has the least stretch?

Thanks for the advise...I think I'm on the right track