Held put my mind at ease

NEbucketmouth19

So I recently started throwing stuff like the 8" hudd, 8" WRS, some heavier real prey's etc. I'm using a Muse Black 8' H rod and with 25lb P-line PF. So far I've enjoying this setup. My issue comes last weekend, fishing the WRS. I make a long cast, get the bait about halfway back to me, and feel a bite. I have the rod pointed at the bait, I feel the line start to stretch a bit and I swing on the fish. I didn't even get to feel the full weight or complete the hookset before the line snaps, from what I can tell, pretty close to the bait. 

My suspicion is that it was a pike, but the lake I was fishing I almost never encounter them, although there are still some around. But to help put my mind to ease and convince myself I didn't break off a huge bass I'd like to hear a couple things. Do you guys feel 25lb is adequate for those 4-6 oz soft plastic baits, or would 30 be a better choice? I was using a SDJ knot which I have plenty of confidence in, but how often are you guys retying your baits just from casting? I check my line fairly often but does the strain of casting these lures stretch and weaken that section of line in front of the bait when casting to the point I should be retying a few times a day...hourly....sooner than that?

post-28545-0-51931900-1505670649_thumb.jpg

25# is adequate but if you want to try 30# give it a go. I re-tie only if needed ( line fray, knot slippage, kinks) but strain can always be a factor when hucking the big boys out there but more than likely, if it wasn't actually a toothy bastard, it was a bad batch of pline, I've had the same issues with their floro in the past. If the break was near or at least 6" up from the bait it could also be a possibility that your first 2 eyelets have some type or crack or abrasive resistance or that when cinching the knot you are pulling to hard but you would see the "line wave " from the knot up. Some times you just gotta charge it to the game, dawg.

Sounds like a pike bite off to me.  If that happens again (or if you get a pickerel bite off on a conventional bait) take a careful look at the end of your line.  When you pull your line across the teeth of these fish it leaves an end that tapers to a thin point.  A break off does not have that thin, tapering line tip.  

Swimbaits bring out the pike even where they're not plentiful.

attachicon.gifIMG_0052.JPG

25# is adequate but if you want to try 30# give it a go. I re-tie only if needed ( line fray, knot slippage, kinks) but strain can always be a factor when hucking the big boys out there but more than likely, if it wasn't actually a toothy bastard, it was a bad batch of pline, I've had the same issues with their floro in the past. If the break was near or at least 6" up from the bait it could also be a possibility that your first 2 eyelets have some type or crack or abrasive resistance or that when cinching the knot you are pulling to hard but you would see the "line wave " from the knot up. Some times you just gotta charge it to the game, dawg.

2 points for the Silkk tha Shocker CD that I haven't seen in a good 15yrs or so.

It might just be me but when i first started using the sdj knot every once in a while when distracted or in the dark i would cinch the tag end too hard and put a pretty nasty divit in the line a couple inches above the bait. That could be your problem or it could just be the line or you got a pickerel