Savage Gear 3D Rad Rat 11.75"

Namsu11

I apologize if this isn't the correct place to ask for others' opinions on this bait.

I recently bought the Savage Gear 3D Rad Rat in brown, the 11.75" (total) size including the tail.

I see a lot of love for rat baits on here. However, I tried searching and couldn't find anything specifically about this lure. As far as rat baits go, this, in my opinion, is as realistic as it gets. I've fished it on one outing so far for about a couple of hours, but didn't get bit. The swimming action is very fluid, and it's a silent bait which I prefer. Also, I like that it has 2 spots to tie to. If you tie to the bottom line tie, it is a true wake bait. If you tie it to the upper line tie, it functions like a subsurface bait and swims down roughly 2 feet. It's a very versatile bait and looks the part.

How about you? Any experience with this? Have you stuck a hog on it yet?

• 3 months later...

I haven't personally thrown one, because I purchased the Spro BBZ-Rat instead but my brothers both throw them. I like the 2 eyelets for different retrieves, it looks way more realistic than the BBZ. I'm not crazy about the wet noodle tail or it's durability.

As far as boating a hog.. can't say I have or seen one but it sure catches Northerns.

I have one, but I have not put much time into fishing it. You are right, it have a very fluid motion and looks very realistic. I'm generally not a huge fan of the exaggerated "snake" or "s" action in any style lure though, which I feel this has especially with the worm-like tail. I've done well with topwaters with long pauses and subtle twitches and that's where this thing lacks IMO, it has a fluid swim but just sitting there or twitched I am not a fan. Really the only reason I got it was the option to rig it weedless by top hook rigging it but I had mixed results with fouling even by doing that.