spiral wrap rods?

massbass10

You can watch the Swimbait Chronicles video with Ben from Lowdown Custom Rods and he goes into the benefits of the spiral wrap.

As Don stated it allows fewer guides which can result in a lighter rod.

Also, when fighting the fish close quarters, the guides are on the bottom of the rod toward the end, so the pressure the fish puts on the rod blankdoesmt torque the rod right or left compared to a traditional wrap. The pressure loads up straightbtonthe blank so you have better force to control bigger fish.

Those are probably the more noticeable differences.

As for left or right spiraled, apparently either works the same regardless of if you're right or left handed.

However most people opt for the direction their dominant had is just for ish and gigs

From my knowledge, having spiral wrapped guides helps out with torque. Apparently, it helps bring a fish in easier. As for spiral to left or right, I spoke to Ben from LDC and he said it will not affect performance whether u are right or left handed. My entire set of bass rods are LDC and Phoenix. I own both spiraled left and right and I do not see any difference in use.

As far as direction of spiral, right or left makes no difference performance wise.  Ideally, the guides should wrap to the side the reel handle is on so the the transition guides are up when the rod is laid on the deck (handle up). 

this topic is brought up about once per month. supposedly allows the use of fewer guides, meaning lighter rods.

This is interesting. I understand dynamic, though not particularly sold on it. One thing I know for certain, weight of build notwithstanding, I love me some spiral wrap for anything outside topwater or rip bait application.

I've used spiral wrapped rods for standup tuna and billfish and it definitely made a difference with big fish and long fights.  I have both conventional and spiral swimbait rods and I never notice any difference in casting or fighting bass.  Maybe if I could tie into a teener I could feel some advantage of the spiral!