Tension knob/brakes Heavy Baits

David R

A lot of my baits are 2-4 oz so I don't run into this problem until I try fishing a 250. When you are using heavy lures do you have to have all the brakes on so you don't need to tighten the tension knob all the way? Whenever I fish my 250 with only a 1 or 2 brakes on, it seems like I have to tighten the tension knob to much and the reel is is hard to reel. Sorry if this is a dumb question, I always have this problem when fishing my 250... BTW I'm using a curado 300e

I know that with conventional gear, you are supposed to set the spool tension so that the bait descends slowly if you let it fall on a free spool. Don't try to do this with large baits. Just set the tension moderately tight  and use your thumb to prevent backlashes. I know a couple of guys who really clamp it down and they cast about half as far as I do. It's not the way to go.

I keep my spool  tension about the same whether I am casting a three ounce bait or an eight ounce bait.

my .02

I back off my spool tension knob all the way off until theres lots of freeplay side to side on the spool. Next i tighten up just enough to where theres no more side to side movement then go a few clicks (not revolutions) past that point. I set my brakes half way up then make the cast as far as i can get it to go. I use my thumb and guage from there. More brakes if needed, and less if i can handle more. Use as little as brakes and freespool tension as you can. I cast into the wind with a side cast and can bomb a lure out there really far without breaking off most of the time. Soft baits on the other hand i snap off too easily esp if their big and bulky and catches lots of wind.

I don't use the tension knob at all because I don't like to feel resistance in the handle when I'm retreiveing the bait. So I just leave it completely off. I use the brakes/ magnetic cast control to control the cast.

No brakes and no tension for me. Only issue I've run into is losing a tension knob while losing my footing while hiking because it was obviously way too loose. I haven't had backlash issues at all throwing 25# mono or copoly, but I'm sure this would be a disaster with braid.

Edited by hydrocephalic

If you are tightening the knob to the point it is harder to reel then you are definitely way too tight on the knob.  Take the time to switch to more brakes in the on position if you are having problems.  Also the best brake in the world is your thumb, but that comes only with a lot of time on the water.