Rat Baits

Ceaser

Right on Ceaser!!! Even though I'm a three hour drive , one way to the Delta, I consider it may "home water"....your observations are on target....last week we saw minks scurrying along the rip rap, on high tide.....late spring i fish north delta area with a lot of fig trees have always been successful in those areas with overhangs ...will have to start paying more attention to the blackberries!!! Great read with plenty of thought...Thanks Ceaser....this sharing of info  is why I'm here day in & day out!....Michel...Go Fish!!!

Wow, glad it helped. I needed to contribute to the forum, its been a while. I dress with living rubber to tell yoiu the truth. I just want the rear treble to be a little more bulky. Black feather would be awesome I imagine. I just havent went for them. I have use buck tail and rubber cuz I dont mind slowing the action of the bait down. I like that more subdued movement. As for time of year I throw them when the water is 53-55 degrees and up. Or I will pick them up mid day on and sunny winter afternoon when I ply the shallows for fish up and warming. Im home from work sick but Im gonna try and record some vid today on "Crankdown Hardbaits". THANKS SU!

Great read....talk about cutting a couple years off the learning curve! On the few rat fish I've caught, I did notice the bite was more of a slurp or quick nip. The disabling quick hit seems on point.

What are your thoughts on casting patterns? 99% of the rodents I see on the delta are swimming parallel to the shore, within a couple feet of the bank. Do you try to keep them in that zone or just run them wherever? Have you noticed that theu swim with the tide, or does it not matter?

Crap.....you never know exactly how much you dont know until you read so.ething like this.

Edited by tHeINFamoUS

Sick write up, that's info you could have sat on and caught bags. Thank you for sharing. My biggest rat fish were caught on the slow crank. We have never dams up here and I have never caught a fish off of a non active damn. Find one that's being used and there are the fish.

• 2 years later...