Roman Made South?

massbass10

I've been wondering about getting a RM south because it looks like a good gill bait. I'm pretty sure im gonna pull the trigger but i dont know about the action or quality. Its a roman made so it has to be great but I was wondering because i have no experience with it.

Any help appreciated

I Agree with Anthony, I'm a Roman fan as well but this bait didn't do it for me. I'm actually going to try weighting it with some tungsten putty this weekend to see what I can get out of it without totally trashing it. If it works, then I'll bring out the drill!

I Agree with Anthony, I'm a Roman fan as well but this bait didn't do it for me. I'm actually going to try weighting it with some tungsten putty this weekend to see what I can get out of it without totally trashing it. If it works, then I'll bring out the drill!

Put a bill on it!

I recently got one. It has a totally different action from my other top-waters. I use the 1/2 or 1/4 quick turns and it weaves and darts like an injured shiner. I put red feathered trebles on the tail.  I like it, but im afraid to throw it a lot due to the price. I've caught a couple of 2 pounders on it in MA. I'm still hoping to get a big girl on her since shes my most expensive bait. Shop around, you can get them cheaper than TW. My go to is still my Slammers.

The bait makes some trippy noises when twitched and what not. Moves really well in slight wind when deadsticking. Seems to have a thicker epoxy style finish compared to the negotiator. Clacks well, and mine will stay stable when ripped or reeled quickly and make a good commotion. I wish it had a tail, but the fish don't care. Maybe I'll have to over pay for an old style one with a tail at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. I added appx. 5/16 oz of tungsten putty evenly across the bottom to achieve a super slow sink. It swam well, stayed around 2' down on a slow retrieve, and sits well on a pause. One piece of putty fell off before I could really get a feel for it, but I definitely liked what I saw better than the original floating version. I think that I will be playing around with this some more.

The bait makes some trippy noises when twitched and what not. Moves really well in slight wind when deadsticking. Seems to have a thicker epoxy style finish compared to the negotiator. Clacks well, and mine will stay stable when ripped or reeled quickly and make a good commotion. I wish it had a tail, but the fish don't care. Maybe I'll have to over pay for an old style one with a tail at some point.

I have tails..i think you know a guy who builds baits that could prolly mod one up

New to the forum...I have a South, Mother, Negotiator and lipless trick; the South is ok, but doesn't do near what the others will. In the video on youtube it seems to swim subsurface, but mine doesn't - it's strictly topwater. I like it enough to keep, but for the money it's over rated IMO. I didn't know it was originally made with a tail, that's intriguing. I like the idea of weighting it, but having to modify an expensive bait is disappointing. It sort of walks side to side but needs to be worked slow.  I haven't found a blue gill bait that I like - I was thinking of trying a Live Target Wake?

• 3 weeks later...

New to the forum...I have a South, Mother, Negotiator and lipless trick; the South is ok, but doesn't do near what the others will. In the video on youtube it seems to swim subsurface, but mine doesn't - it's strictly topwater. I like it enough to keep, but for the money it's over rated IMO. I didn't know it was originally made with a tail, that's intriguing. I like the idea of weighting it, but having to modify an expensive bait is disappointing. It sort of walks side to side but needs to be worked slow.  I haven't found a blue gill bait that I like - I was thinking of trying a Live Target Wake?

If you are looking for a bluegill wake bait you can't beat the wade hoggs