I got my First Follower!

Namsu11

So a little background for the story. I first learned about big swimbaits through KeepinItReelFishing and his Swimbaiting the Northeast Series. Last winter, I purchased my first dedicated setup and a handful of baits. As a Colorado angler, I mainly fish rocky reservoirs with deep water access and it is fairly easy to find good points, secondary points, flats adjacent to deep water, and bluff walls. Keep in mind I am a shore fisherman (not enough $$ for a kayak yet). Having a wife and 2 small kids, my time on the water this year has been limited to about 10 trips, and for 4 of those trips I've thrown only the big swimbaits with no followers or landed fish.

So, this past Friday night I went out around 6:00pm, used my topographic map, and decided to fish a large cove where the shoreline was made up of 40 foot(ish) cliffs. In looking for actual ways down to the water, I found a very small (around 20 feet of shoreline) area where it was more gradual and the composition was more like gravel. I noticed on one side of this the composition changed abruptly to larger rocks, so I started tossing my Savage Gear 8' line thru (slow sink) along what I judged to be where the composition changed in the water. On my 3rd cast, on a slow retrieve, I saw the gold. I estimate a 4 lb largemouth followed my lure literally to my feet before taking off. (in my excitement I even tried to do a figure 8 like with Muskie.) I can tell you just seeing that was enough to help my confidence soar. I feel like I identified a high percentage spot, used a lure that he was interested in, and enticed a follow. I know a 4lb bass isn't large by any means, but I believe for the reservoir I'm fishing that is a big largemouth.

Hopefully this helps anyone out there know that persistence pays off, and helps keep you encouraged if it's been a while without seeing any fish.

I'll be going back there soon, and I will post pictures when I catch it! (note my confident tone, ha).