IRod Bailey Swim for Hudds

tyflemingo

Been a long time lurker but looking for advice for a hudd (mainly 8") rod for this winter. Does anyone use the bailey swim for bottom bouncing jig hook baits? Haven't seen too much info on the bailey swim. I will be using braid to leader so I was thinking that the more moderate action will be ok with the braid to drive that hook in deep water. Was also looking at the dobyns 807 or 867 but wasn't sure if it was worth the extra 100$. Would love to hear some thoughts. Thanks guys. 

I've had the 807 for almost a year, haven't caught many fish on it, but I like it. It's light weight, super sensitive, and throws the 8inch hudd perfectly. I fish it with braid to leader as well and can feel every little detail on the other end of the line. I'm hoping to use it a lot this winter slow rolling hudds and i will have more input on it. Good luck!

I would ditch the braid. It's sensitivity would bother me and make me overreact....I think best hudd rod would be a fiberglass blend....Bailey is a guru so I don't think u can go wrong.

Not directing this at IROD.. they make solid gear for the money but

The problem with this statement is most "gurus" and pros aren't fishing the stuff from over the counter.. having dealt in a different industry with pro staff or guys with signature gear it was NEVER the same as what the consumer gets

I would think Paul Bailey wouldn't put his name on a rod he wouldn't use himself, (and he loves hudds) even though what BigSlant said sounds like it could be true.

This may be true for fishing.. but you'd be surprised how many names are on retail equipment that the pro wouldn't/doesn't use and is just paid endorsement.. think of it like a baseball mitt.. may have your favorite players name on it but it sure as hell isn't close to the glove he's using

I don't know anything about Paul and IRODS designs or arrangements.. but if i was offered a ton of money to endorse something it's easy to sell a signature

Again not directed at IROD or Paul.. this thread could've had anyone's brand or name.. and this is just my experience in other non fishing sports

Edited by BigSlant

This may be true for fishing.. but you'd be surprised how many names are on retail equipment that the pro wouldn't/doesn't use and is just paid endorsement.. think of it like a baseball mitt.. may have your favorite players name on it but it sure as hell isn't close to the glove he's using

I don't know anything about Paul and IRODS designs or arrangements.. but if i was offered a ton of money to endorse something it's easy to sell a signature

Again not directed at IROD or Paul.. this thread could've had anyone's brand or name.. and this is just my experience in other non fishing sports

Very good point.  I have used Irod's personally and love them, irod and dobyns are my favorite off the shelf. I have not went to a custom yet but want to try an F5, Nef, LDC, MOAM, or something of that caliber eventually.

Very good point. I have used Irod's personally and love them, irod and dobyns are my favorite off the shelf. I have not went to a custom yet but want to try an F5, Nef, LDC, MOAM, or something of that caliber eventually.

And believe me.. I'm an IROD supporter..Matt Newman has been amazing to work with for donations and discounts for raffles and giveaways! Service is second to none and warranty is great too!

I have several IRODS and the "stone cold swim and vibrating jig" rod is awesome and one of the only non swimbait rods I keep on deck!

I might be confusing Bailey with Neumann. I know one of em has vids discussing and or using their past designs.

I'm sure it's both..I'm meaning not always what is designed and advertised as the equipment used or endorsed by the pros is what is on the shelf

That typically goes away with mass production

Edited by BigSlant