Issues with casting off baits.......

Mountainryan

Hey SU, other than sticking some great fish the last week i have been struggling with line issues. I roll 65 lb powerpro braid on my 2-8oz rod and was running 20lb sniper on my 5-10 oz rig. So the issue started with the heavier rig, i started to cast off baits.

No back lash, not dramatic line stops. In fact some came off mid arch of the cast or just as i let off my thumb pressure. i would feel some resistance in the line and off goes the bait.

The sniper had been on a season and was getting beat up so I replaced it with 65lb powerpro. Literally third cast with a near new 250 and off it lobs. not a hard cast, a side arm lob, rod was barely loaded up.

Then on my light rod i threw two baits off. No knot failure, no backlash just that slight feeling if drag on the line and gone.

In each of these the broken end of the line "tapered" off from full braid to a wisp of strands over an inch or so. i remember reading about guys talking about line looking this way but no way to search that. I checked my guides and tip and they seem intact in fact one lire broke off in the middle of the rod ( line end was at 3rd eyelet).

The heavy set up is an okuma sbx and i think it has a tangle-only tip. worst i have ever used but could that be the culprit? i usually drop some line before i cast so i would feel it. I recovered most baits and swam for the deps but never found her. This is an expensive game but i cant keep losing baits like that haha. Thanks SU, TIght lines.

Ryan

1. with an ny nonbraid fluoro type line, u need to be careful spooling so that spool never twists. In most cases u will figure if u did it right or not within first couple of uses.

2. 65 power pro is strong stuff. I have not yet ventured into the new age pp which has a much smaller diameter. The trend towards smaller diameter breaking strengths has always made me nervous. Braid near rock is break off city.

3. I always do test casts after a new spooling. I take the time to feel the line on a long cast.

I think your overpowering your cast bro. Believe it or not everytime you cast you build up more muscle and memorie in your arms, shoulders and your sides. When i started chasing big hybrids from shore everybody used 11ft surf rods and i was using a medium 7ft bass rod. At first my arm hurt like hell but eventually i was hitting 100 yards plus easily out with a slab. No all my buddies use the same setup and we all can cast that far out without transporting huge rods back and fourth to the lake. Some of the guys break rods in a week from their cast and they just replace em with cheepies. I aint hybrid fished in a while and can still pack a punch like no other even with a swimbait rod. 50lb braid, 30lb mono, 25lb floro with a 2.5oz swimbait and i still have to limit my swing or just take a chance loosing it.

I was actually thinking about going up to 65lb braid buts still decided thats not enough. And i think 100lb is to much cause then ill be breaking my megabass rod and thats a no bueno. The only alternative i came up with is (ssshhhhh dont laugh) go with a super cheap rod thats ocean rated- i got it for 17$ and 100lb braidbim gonna stick on it with a cheap round abu im gonna build up. Ill let ya know what happens when get it all together.

You've got a sharp edge somewhere. You don't just start casting off baits one day out of the blue. The fact that it's happening on both makes me think that the damage happened to the two rods while they were next to each other at the same time or maybe how they're being stored

If the guides are fine, you're still casting the same, check the "wind". I find it weird that your bait will snap off in the air without backlash? There has to be some sort of spooling issue or maybe you're thumbing it too hard(giggity). Hope you figure it out, also what are you running for reels?

I think goblins layer has a point. An over zealous cast, with a slight bit of resistance equals bye bye. Either your thumb or a fast turning free spool can create that resistance. Try dialing down the spool tension so you don't use your thumb as much, and don't horse it out as far as you can, then adjust from there.

Iv used 65 lb pp for about 3 yrs on my lighter riggs and have never snapped off any lures but dont throw anything over 4 oz on it, i use pline for my bigger baits, sounds like a worm gear issue not laying the line down right on the spool and has a slight bind up imo or mabe some bad pp iv heard the super slick aint that great i use the original stuff

Thanks. I do think it's a snag issue. The phenix has a "hook" line keeper low on the R side of the rod. The line running under that could cause some of the issues like the mid rod break off. On the big rod, I don't know. Will run the brakes harder and see if it helps.