Swimbait Walleye

whompuscat658

Just found this thread and I LOVE it! I used to fish Glendo, Seminoe, and Grayrocks when I lived in Wyoming. Walleye are a LOT like the speckled trout I fish for in the bays and marshes here in Texas now. Even have big, nasty teeth. FishDr’s comment about the jerkbait guys outfishing swimbaits made me think of the Corkies and other suspending mullet plugs we use for the trophy wintertime specks. Those might be worth a shot on the ‘eyes. Also, have you guys tried gliders yet? Might be worth the effort. I remember a Doug Stange episode of In-Fisherman from 20+ years ago where he was fishing at night in October and throwing big sassy shads and modified Rapalas into current areas to pull out giant walleye. Very similar to how we doshbfor specks in the shallower bays. Anyway, sorry to hijack. Just love this thread and it’s giving me new ideas for visiting Wyoming reservoirs again!

Edited by Amistoad

Just found this thread and I LOVE it! I used to fish Glendo, Seminoe, and Grayrocks when I lived in Wyoming. Walleye are a LOT like the speckled trout I fish for in the bays and marshes here in Texas now. Even have big, nasty teeth. FishDr’s comment about the jerkbait guys outfishing swimbaits made me think of the Corkies and other suspending mullet plugs we use for the trophy wintertime specks. Those might be worth a shot on the ‘eyes. Also, have you guys tried gliders yet? Might be worth the effort. I remember a Doug Stange episode of In-Fisherman from 20+ years ago where he was fishing at night in October and throwing big sassy shads and modified Rapalas into current areas to pull out giant walleye. Very similar to how we doshbfor specks in the shallower bays. Anyway, sorry to hijack. Just love this thread and it’s giving me new ideas for visiting Wyoming reservoirs again!

Gliders as in glide baits? I feel like you’re referring to something else but not sure....

I have had some success with glide baits, but only on the Deps 175SS, whereas Whompuscafish puts in work with the S-Wavers.

I had one cold February night where I landed a brace of 28" fish on an Ayu colored Deps - one went 8.9, the other 9.1  My friend landed one that night, on an 8" Hudd, and it weighed 10.2 lbs.  I caught another 28" fish in early fall, also on the aye-colored 175.  They clearly work - I think the trick in the areas I fish isn't so much getting the right lure as getting the right silhouette (i.e., some kind of trout-shaped object) in front of the fish.  The big swimbait-class walleye are not thick on the ground, so you end up doing a lot of casting.  I'm hoping to get out during the next 3/4 moon period to see if I can't tag one more fish in the high 20s or low 30s before everything ices over.

Gah! Spaced completely that the s-waver IS a glide bait. Apologies! You guys chasing the ‘eyes are awesome! My enthusiasm blinded me and made my fingers go mental before I actually comprehended the entire post!

Gah! Spaced completely that the s-waver IS a glide bait. Apologies! You guys chasing the ‘eyes are awesome! My enthusiasm blinded me and made my fingers go mental before I actually comprehended the entire post!

No worries, brother. I appreciate your interest and enthusiasm....I’ve gotten some other species on the s waver but the one I’ll mever forget is a big laker that got away after I hooked it and thought I was snagged for about five seconds until she started moving. Literally the same exact lure....I love the 168 s waver. I think it’s a good all around sb to throw and it’s reltifely cheap and good quality...

Whompuscat658, AWESOME walleye brother man! I'm sure that made all the fishless trips (hopefully not too many) worth it!

I live in Colorado also and started fishing big swimbaits seriously this past year (2017). My main stomping grounds though is Pueblo Reservoir due to where I live. In October, I caught a 27.5 inch walleye that weighed 5lbs 13 oz. on a 6" BBZ sinking in rainbow trout pattern. The weekend prior to that, I was at a BassPro shop and there was a guide there in the fishing section with a display table. I started talking to him about Pueblo, and it was his opinion that most of the bigger fish like this were no longer present. Honestly, it's hard to argue because I've had days in June when I can go out and catch 50 small male walleyes on flats after the spawn, but they all are sub 16". You'd think you could find 1 large one. However, after about a dozen or so fishless trips throwing big swimbaits (8" BBZ, 6"BBZ, Triple Trout, and Savage Gear Line Thru) I finally landed the big one. Like you said, goes to show the allure of the big baits. This was a fish of a lifetime for me but I'm hoping to make it a "regular" occurrence. When I saw how little the 6"BBZ looked inside that walleye's mouth, it really gave me confidence as to how much they can really eat! I'm throwing the 8" swimbaits a lot more this year. I'm like FishDr., I just keep telling my wife that the next trip will be when I catch the big one again. Haha.

FishDr., have you ever fished your swimbaits as far south as Pueblo Reservoir? I made it to the reservoir about 20 times total in 2017, and I was the only one I ever saw fishing bigger baits. However, I'm confident there are big fish in there from bass, wiper, flathead, walleye. That reservoir has a lot of variety, just have to sort through a lot of small fish to get to the big ones...which is what I'm doing simply by throwing the big baits.

Also, I wanted to throw this out there for any other CO Swimbaiters (or anyone looking for a case to throw big baits) for what it's worth:

In researching Pueblo Reservoir stockings and samplings over the past years on the CDOW website. The Division of Wildlife (DOW) used to stock 6" rainbow trout exclusively in the spring out of the South Marina. However, whenever they sampled either at the end of the fishing season or the following year, they always found next to no rainbow trout present. They attribute this to heavy predation from the multiple predatory species in the reservoir. This isn't surprising because this reservoir has smatterings of  largemouth, spotted bass, smallmouth, wipers, catfish (blues, channels, flatheads), walleye, and maybe others I'm forgetting? So what did the DOW do? They started stocking 8" rainbow trout instead. To their surprise (and what hopefully we already believe as swimbait fisherman), they came up with the same sampling results year over year--little to no rainbow trout. As a side note, I'm aware that anglers keeping rainbow trout for the pan also is a factor here, but in my opinion a smaller factor than predation. So now, fast-forward to 2017, and they stock (and possibly have been for the past couple years, I'm at work and don't have time to find my sources on the DOW site again) 10" rainbow trout every spring! There thought process is that 10" should actually be large enough to avoid a lot of predation the 6" and 8" rainbows were experiencing in hopes to have a sustainable, albeit small, population of rainbow trout for anglers to enjoy. So whenever I look at my 8" trout-like swimbaits and have that nagging thought in the back of my mind "this has to be too big of a lure..." I try to remind myself that the 8" trout just weren't making it out there in the big scary water and the DOW was forced to introduce even bigger 10"ers.

Hope this is informative for someone out there! Feel free to message me or ask any questions about Pueblo Reservoir as that is my main area of focus and has been for a few years. It's only been in 2017 that I transitioned over to throwing the big baits there though.