First Rod

LIBB ZALKRY

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums and swimbait game but am looking to buy my first rod in the coming weeks. I've been reading up a lot and have read many threads on here regarding rod choices but have a specific question. I'm deciding between the Diawa DX 8 foot heavy swimbait rod, and the Dobyns Fury 8 foot heavy swimbait rod. I've watched tons videos and read tons of reviews praising both of them but can't decide which I should go with. In the future I will be throwing anything from an S-waver 168 and Hudd 68 weedless, to a Hudd 8 inch trout and a Deps 250. Both are rated for 2-8oz which is the range I want. So i'm asking if anyone has advice on which to go with that knows of these rods or has experience with them. Thanks in advance!

Mark

That's quite the range of baits to try throwing with one rod you can pretty much throw that 68 and 168 on conventional gear maybe grab a rod more toward the 8in hudd and 250. I dont have experince with the daiwa series but most rods the rateings are exagerated even on my gloomis bbr966 rated to 45lb test and up to 10ozs 8foot rod i know the 250 is the max i will go with it and its not really comfortable to throw on it

Can the 806 throw baits in the low end of its rating effectively such as a mattlures hardgill or Gan Craft 178?

No idea...I don't have the 806 or either of those baits haha! Like Trevor said though, the baits you mentioned are a pretty wide range of weights and applications. Ideally you would have at least two different setups to adequately cover this range. Try using the search bar to find threads on specific rods. The 806 is pretty new, but there is a ton of helpful info that I found on the Daiwa and others. When I first got into swimbaiting I wanted a lighter rod first and chose the Fury 795 over the Daiwa DX H and Okuma Guide Select H. I have no regrets as the Fury fits my fishing style with its slightly faster action.

I'm sure someone who actually has the 806 will chime in soon...Hope this helps!

Dan

Thanks for the replies everyone, I have a better idea of which rod to go with now. Also it was my mistake to put the deps 250 in my post as it is very unlikely I will be throwing anything above 5 oz for a while at least. My most sincere apologies to "BigSlant" as I forgot humans weren't allowed to make mistakes; typos happen but I'll try my hardest to be more careful :)

Thanks for the replies everyone, I have a better idea of which rod to go with now. Also it was my mistake to put the deps 250 in my post as it is very unlikely I will be throwing anything above 5 oz for a while at least. My most sincere apologies to "BigSlant" as I forgot humans weren't allowed to make mistakes; typos happen but I'll try my hardest to be more careful :)

I wouldn't of said it if you were the first ever.. sorry I'm addicted to English

Hey guys,

I In the future I will be throwing anything from an S-waver 168 and Hudd 68 weedless, to a Hudd 8 inch trout and a Deps 250. Both are rated for 2-8oz which is the range I want.

Mark

The only rod I know that will do a good job with baits across that entire range is the Dobyns 867. If you're a vet, you can get one for 30% off direct from Dobyns. Their vet program is fantastic.