Fall-Winter Slammer fishing

NEbucketmouth19

There's a lot of variables that go into any retrieve. Whether I'm fishing cover or open water and water depth also play a role. I fished a slammer almost exclusively for almost 4 years. Every year I made it a point to use a new technique. Some guys would call what I did a waste of time to focus on one bait but what you learn during that time can very easily be applied to other baits, and not just top waters. Rod length, power, reel speed and line all play a huge part too depending on retrieves. But to answer the origanal question in cooler months the slow/deadstick slow has caught better fish for me. With the erratic/ walking technique you'll get smaller more aggressive fish usually. If you're friends with any duck hunters pick their brains on what they're seeing early in the mornings. You'll probably be surprised at what they'll tell you.

When you say deadstick is it a true deadstick where you are doing nothing for minutes at a time. Or do you throw in a subtle twitch or very slow wake every so often? I've tried leaving mine completely still when there a little chop on the water since the waves cause the wood to clack together. 

When you say deadstick is it a true deadstick where you are doing nothing for minutes at a time. Or do you throw in a subtle twitch or very slow wake every so often? I've tried leaving mine completely still when there a little chop on the water since the waves cause the wood to clack together.

Both will work. If I'm working down a warmer bank I will dead stick by a bush/tree/rock whatever. Kinda like flipping but takes longer. Casting on certain spots a very very slow wake but depends on conditions. Chop on the water I like to keep it moving.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a 9 inch slammer about 2months ago and I got a full blown case of slammeritis. I just can't seem to throw anything else! As it's started to get colder this last week or two I've noticed the straight wake technique hasn't been as effective so I switched it up to the deadstick and twitch and they are wrecking it! Thanks SU and all the slammer wizards on here for sharing so much priceless info! I have a feeling this is the year I'm throwing topwater in the snow

I got a 9 inch slammer about 2months ago and I got a full blown case of slammeritis. I just can't seem to throw anything else! As it's started to get colder this last week or two I've noticed the straight wake technique hasn't been as effective so I switched it up to the deadstick and twitch and they are wrecking it! Thanks SU and all the slammer wizards on here for sharing so much priceless info! I have a feeling this is the year I'm throwing topwater in the snow

Yea the only way I've been getting bit on mine recently as it's been getting cold is small twitches and long pauses. 

So waking slammers can work then, just look up famous angler Dave L who once won the pin award in December waking a dark trout.

Ill.probably sound like a dummy but im not all that familiar with the famous angler crowd these days. Tried to google dave l and pin award, got skunked. Got a full name....or any hints on where i can find more info?

Ill.probably sound like a dummy but im not all that familiar with the famous angler crowd these days. Tried to google dave l and pin award, got skunked. Got a full name....or any hints on where i can find more info?

Here's the article

http://www.onthewater.com/big-swimbaits-big-bass/

Thank you frogman. Dave L has the best line ever in SB fishing. "No memory." Would be a great book title imo. For beginners, it gives u some perspective about proper expectations when tossing SBS.

Edited by bigpoppabass

I don't know why the slammer gets bit like it does in the cold. It totally goes against traditional bass fishing wisdom of "fish small, fish deep" when it's cold. I still remember chucking a slammer in one of the industrial park ponds near me, it was around freezing and pissing rain... For some reason I decided fishing would be a great idea and wouldn't you know it I had catfish and a few bass exploding on the slammer like it owed them money. Just last night it was 40 degrees and I stuck a nice 4.5 in a pond that isn't more than 2.5 feet deep at its deepest slow waking my 9" light trout.