When to crank it down?

Rod Bendhard

Alright guys, as we all know straight waking the slammer works incredibly well as does the deadstick/twitch combo. I'd say 75% of my fish come from straight wake while the other 25% coming from the pause (especially as the temps cool here in CT) ive only caught one fish cranking it down so far. My question to the all powerful slammer gods that lurk in SU is this...is there a time/conditions where cranking down the slammer becomes more effective than the straight wake or pause technique? Help a brother out! post-21268-0-90608100-1510232197_thumb.jpg

I have committed a rig to a 2x cranker slammer setup. It is fun good numbers bait when there is a chop causing trout to pop the surface. It is bomb and immediate splash down retrieve that has ruined a couple of thumbars on my baitcasters tho. Sounds just like the feeding trout on the splashdown. I have not had much success cranking down my 1x slammers.

Edited by bigpoppabass

i only buy cranking slammers because i find the technique to be more effective. There are other wake baits that do a good job at waking, for me the slammer shines as a shallow cranker.

i use a 5:4 reel, pop the rod tip down, and get cranking. Pausing to rise up over cover, then resuming the crank. The slammer definitely has a maximum cranking speed before it starts to roll/wash out. In the summer months, i toe that line and try to fish it fast. At night or in the later months, a sloooow crank/subsurface is what has produced the best for me. 

note- the slow cranking speed is more achievable with a specific cranking model. The wake has to go faster to get down

I wasn't a fan of the crank down slammers personally. The 9" single joint slammer does the best for me on the crank. Believe it or not I felt I did better on the crank when it was hot middle of the day with glass calm water. Those seemed to be my biggest bags on that retrieve. Cooler temps I've had better with deadstick/ slow retrieve.

I don't switch out those stock hooks. They are classic cranking hooks. I barb em down and hone em. I keep em fresh with my wd40 pen....btw, another reason why I like the 2x cranking slammer is that they r fat and also wake awesome....I do have a couple of 1x 9 inch slammers that just look slimmer than normal and they crank great.

I don't agree with a lot of guys on hook setup. It's all about finding what works for you. Personally I run 2/0 st 36. There is a method to the madness with those vmc. Long shank and weight play a big factor in how the bait runs. But I always change them out. The one time I didn't I bent them out on a big fish. My mistake but don't make it twice. The lighter wire 36 don't blow a big hole in the mouth like the cutting points. Same idea as a square bill.

I probably catch 80% of my Slammer fish cranking.  Of course I probably spend 80% of my Slammer time cranking.  I try  to vary my retrieves with Slammers at the start of a trip.  Crank some, wake some, deadstick some, pop some.  You'll figure out what they want best and its going to vary from day to day and situation to situation.  Get out on the water, commit some time to it, and you'll catch fish on Slammers while cranking.  When they are on a REALLY good Slammer bite I think they eat it whether its on top or subsurface.  Gotta love it when that thing just stops dead.

Thanks guys! This site always exceeds my expectations with priceless swimbait knowledge. I currently have a 9 inch waking version that will crank down to about a foot before it rolls (maybe a bit less) do you guys think that will be ok or should I invest in an actual cranking model? I'm seeing a lot of love for the 3 piece for cranking