When to crank it down?

Rod Bendhard

I've had my best luck with a 7" standard in dark rainbow, fishing it up close to wind blown cover, tule lines, cranked slightly under the surface. Although it's been a lil while since I've been on that bite, it was flat out deadly when it was on, several bags over 20lbs. Jimmy Reese won an FLW I was fishing in with an AC minnow in similar conditions, he revealed he'd let the baits soak for days/weeks to try and get them water logged to help dive subsurface a bit better. Great post spawn tactic!

I guess I'm gonna have to try cranking a slammer now. I always thought it looked like the worst bait underwater with a very weird action but apparently it works for a bunch of you guys. I've only caught a few fish on slammers but I do have one over 8 on it. I was waking it though.

I forgot to mention reason a 2x cranking slammer is so much fun is the hits are brutal ones. The hits waking are subtle takes usually.....btw, I did not like the 1x cranker, didn't look very smooth to me....also recently had a custom 2x that did not produce and need some sanding of an uneven joint.

cranking down? what is this poppycock you speak of?!?!?! LOL! In my experience if you are cranking down and that bait is 3ft down or deeper and you are getting bites but not hooking up, the fish are coming down on the bait and biting the back never getting the hooks.

Edited by Ceaser

I forgot to mention reason a 2x cranking slammer is so much fun is the hits are brutal ones. The hits waking are subtle takes usually.....btw, I did not like the 1x cranker, didn't look very smooth to me....also recently had a custom 2x that did not produce and need some sanding of an uneven joint.

I've definitely noticed that waking mine so far, I can't believe how subtle some of the bites have been. 

I bought a "diving" Slammer and didn't like how it swims. So when you guys are refering to cranking down Slammers, do you use regular ones of the diving model?

I want a fan of the cranking version of the slammer either. All my cranking is down with a 9" 1x

I like the 2X cranking slammers more than the 1X crankers.

Agree but MS divers will work on top with slow retrieves!

Of the handful of diving Slammers I have my first 9†2X Dark Rainbow gets down the best the wood feels a little heaver than my other divers and the lip is a little longer. C+R this 8lb even RI Trout eater on that 2X cranking also caught 7.5 waking a 1X Diving MS 1 foggy calm morning. I love cranking but low light when its calm are the times I prefer slow and steady retrievers on top.

post-17904-0-67788700-1511010020_thumb.jpg

post-17904-0-26726400-1511010035_thumb.jpg

Agree but MS divers will work on top with slow retrieves!

Of the handful of diving Slammers I have my first 9†2X Dark Rainbow gets down the best the wood feels a little heaver than my other divers and the lip is a little longer. C+R this 8lb even RI Trout eater on that 2X cranking also caught 7.5 waking a 1X Diving MS 1 foggy calm morning. I love cranking but low light when its calm are the times I prefer slow and steady retrievers on top.

Interesting comment about the wood densities. I recently got 2 more 9in single joints and one of them is noticeably heavier than the rest of my slammers. This one dives even on a super slow retrieve but still doesn't crank down more than about 6-8 inches. If anyone has an extra cranking 3 piece they are willing to part with feel free to slide into my DMs