Why the Slammer?

Aconway94

Hi Everyone! 

I am new to the forum and pretty new to the swimbait game so this may be a stupid question, but why the slammer and not one of the other, single joint, large wake baits? With the tacklewarehouse black Friday sale coming up I want to buy a larger wake bait but I just don't know which one to choose. I have tried the Catch'em Caro Uncle Manny Minnow and I really liked the action but I can't justify spending an extra 15 to 20 bucks for the slammer without some more information (The Catch'em Caro broke off at the end of this year on a fish.....) I know that a bunch of the guys on the forum are really good with the slammer and I am sure have tried some other larger wake baits so I would love to get some more information from you guys!    

If you guys have any other recommendations for me in terms of intro level larger swimbaits I would love to hear them! Right some I have two waver 168s, two gantarel jrs. and a hudd 68 special. I live in New Hampshire and right now I cant go over the 2.5 -3 oz mark for baits. Thanks, guys! (Sorry for the book!) 

Alex  

I believe most people turn to Slammers because they are the most time tested bass catchers in swimbait fishing. And once you get a Slammer you realise that there's no need to search further for that style of bait. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the Catch em Caro, I've actually heard good things about them. Use whatever you're comfortable with and of course what you can afford.

IDk what it is, but the slammer IS the bait. I've had a lot more success on my slammer than my wake Jr and other more expensive wake baits. At this point, its just a fact, the slammer produces and the price point is good too. 

Slammer is the best on lakes with weed edges. I don't throw em on those deep NH rock lakes. I throw something different...but this theory has been proven wrong by another su member I frequently fish with....slammer is a good value in new England cuz unlike the pats the pickeral r seldom attracted to it for some reason. That is a good thing.

Edited by bigpoppabass

It's a very versatile, proven bait. I'm sure that guys catch fish on other similar baits but most guys aren't going to spend money to find out if a bait produces when there's baits available that someone else has already done the research on.

The slammer just gets crushed.Very good price tag in my opinion.Handmade in the good old USA.Proven bait that has stood the test of time.Don't make the mistake i did and think the 9" Slammer is too large and sell it.I now have three 7" and  now looking to buy another 9" to replace the one i sold.Couple guys told me i would be back to the 9" and they were right.

Alex like all before have said...It's classic...It just gets bit....go to the 9 inch they all say...if you haven't seen this post i made  awhile back, it speaks to the Slammer effectiveness.....http://swimbaitunderground.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44009-first-cast-on-newly-acquired-slammer/...i too was skeptical of cost...well worth the money spent...Michel...Go Fish!!!! 

Thanks for all the great info everyone! I appreciate it! I will definitely look into picking up a 9in. Does any one know of one that it floating around I could try to pick up? I am in my low 20's, so not a ton of extra cash, but I don't mind paying up if there quantity is there. I also have some 6in bull shads that I could make a deal with someone with. Just let me know and I appreciate it!