Advice for balancing a wooden topwater

NEbucketmouth19

Hi guys, this is my first time attempting to make a lure. I got a piece of basswood last year and only now cut it up and sanded it down to a profile. My main goal with this one is just to learn how to balance it and get it to sit right in the water, I don't plan on adding many details or going in depth with paint schemes. My main question is once you've got it roughly where you want it in terms of shape, is there any precautions you have to take when balancing it in actual water, will the lure absorb any to the point it will throw off balancing, or is it fine to just let it dry for a while before sealing it? And I was also wondering what you recommended both to seal the wood as well as your choice of clear coat? I will most likely just go straight black or white with this one, or maybe even keep the natural wood not sure yet. Any tips are more than welcome, I am VERY new to this so any advice will be new knowledge to me. Thanks!  

post-28096-0-18892700-1511384921_thumb.jpg

i'm not a professional builder by any means ...iv'e been at it for over 10 years building primarily for myself & friends...that being said, my first question is this a Punker style bait ? if so you want the tail end submerged ...if you have a punker or spook check how they sit in the water...when working on ballast you also want the hooks/split rings/& any other paraphernalia attached or held in place by tape or rubber bands...iv'e pre-sealed with zinsser shellac to do my water tests (prior to painting or sealing with epoxy allow ample drying time!!!)...this may sound somewhat confusing to a first timer...my REAL Advice would be to hit up tackleunderground & use their search function to answer your questions...that's where most builders start...in addition they have a great community that is more than willing to help..Michel

Go Fish!!!

Also you may want to check out Danthefisherman here on SU...follow his adventure in bait making great stuff to be found here

Edited by surfk9

Haha thanks Michel!

In all honesty, I'm no expert at bait maker either...just maybe a little farther along than average. I started by carving wood baits too and still do make masters out of basswood. Personally, I would be fine testing the bait in water without clear if it's just for personal experimental use. Just make sure the entire thing is COMPLETELY dried out before painting and installing hardware. You don't want it to rot and give out from the inside. 2-part epoxy is a good clear to use with wood because it's strong, thick, and easy to see if you missed a spot on the bait. I use one called envirolight or something...I forget the actual name. It's pretty cheap and a bottle lasts forever. It's a little hard to get the composition right sometimes, but you get the hang of it with practice.

Hope this helps!

Dan

Some good advice above. My 2 cents worth would be to get the lure as close to finished as you can before adding the final weight. Hooks ect will effect the drag, balance and bouyancy so it's almost pointless to weight it without including those factors.

And don't forget that a layer of paint and topcoat will add a few grams as well. If you don't thing a few grams makes a difference check out this quick instagram clip https://www.instagram.com/p/BKli2K9Df20/

I would also seal with a waterproof wood glue or epoxy before swiming it. You can dry it out afterwards if u don't but it takes ages.

Use electrical tape to position pieces of lead on your lure until you are happy with the bouyancy and balance. Then you can drill fill and finish.