Mattlures Hardgill Getting it Done

Amistoad

I’ve been hitting my local lake a lot the past month. Most guys are pounding the banks with senkos and rat-l-traps and getting all excited for 12-15†bass. I’ve been chasing them deeper in my kayak with big crankbaits to mimic the shad. Biggest bass over the past 3 trips was 4.5 lbs. So today, after browsing this here forum and watching Jaws to get myself inspired, I left home with only Swimbaits. Within the first couple of casts, the bass let me know I made the right choice.

Once again, Mattlures gill proves that it pulls in the bigger fish on any lake they’re inhaling sunfish. First one was small, about 3 lbs. next was 5lbs. 6 oz. and final one was 6 lbs. 4 oz. then the lightning and downpouring started so I booked it.

post-23182-0-72179500-1512330116_thumb.jpeg

post-23182-0-02887300-1512330207_thumb.jpeg

post-23182-0-76982000-1512330236_thumb.jpeg

Nice! I def need to get me a Hardgill.

Seriously, you do. They’re practically indestructible and fish that ignore other baits go bonkers attacking them. They’re about as close to a sure thing as I’ve seen with Swimbaits.

The girth on those last two is just frightening.  Nice fish!

They grow ‘em big here in Texas! This is a hard-fished, public reservoir too. Threadfin and gizzard shad, panfish, frogs, and crawfish are the forage but 90% of anglers throw senkos and rattle Baits. I’ve got it to myself for swimbaiting!

Kind of sad. I went out again today and caught a few small fish, but the one standout was this one. I think it’s the same skinny one as last week. Even skinnier this week. Probably swallowed a soft plastic and is blocked up, so starving to death. Probably won’t be around much longer.

post-23182-0-78024800-1513568936_thumb.jpeg