Tranx 301 or 401?

AndZ

The weight differences are really small between the 2 models. I need one of the other for fishing with large swimbaits, Deps SS250 being the smaller - will go for Gan Craft JC Shaku-One, Mother etc.

The Tranx 400 has wider body and spool than the 300, I think this is how they gained extra line capacity on the spool. I'm currently using 25 lbs. line on my Lexa 300 (.43 mm diameter, Sunline Queen Star, cheap and dependable) and the next step in diameter, the .47 mm (30 lbs.) looks way too thick for my taste. So, I don't think I would go heavier than 25 lbs., even use 20 lbs, on occasions. The wider spool would get more heavier line... but somehow I think the 300 narrow spool would cast better with the disengaging line guide.

What would do: get the 300 or go for the 400? Right now I'm not swimming in money because of a recent car crash I went through.

I would go with the 401!

Why? If you cast out and the line comes off your spool the diameter of your spool decrease and so your line pick up. The diameter will more decrease on the 300 size and the changes of the actual line pick up will be more significant.

I hope you know what I try to explain! :D

Thanks, that's a valid point. I was leaning towards the 401 size. There's only 3/8 oz. difference in weight between them. I like the fact that the 400 has a wider spool, even though it will create more sharp angles with the line guide being in the opposite corner. Although with the baits I'm throwing, there won't be any loss in distance.

I don't think you will cast far enough to notice the line pick up differences IMO it just holds too much. On my lexa I notice.. I've used the 301 for entire days of fishing with Flouro and braid. What fits your hand better? The 301 fits great and sits low on the rod. Personally I have never thought I needed a 400 sized if the 300 has the capacity, gear ratio, and drag I needed

Go 400 if you're going to use 25lb. Synchronized levelwinds are a little overrated in my opinion. The amount of energy that it takes to keep the levelwind moving instead of just rotating the spool cuts down on any distance you would gain anyway unless you supertune it. Plus the tranx doesn't have as wide a spool as say a nacl 60 or a bigger round reel with a Synchronized lw. Just my .02

The lexa 300 feels pretty different than the tranx 300 in my opinion. The lexa is a lot wider but sits lower. The tranx sits pretty high for a low profile reel but is very narrow.

I'll go with the 400 size. I'm going to use 25 lbs. line, I've used some 30 lbs. line in the past on my Lexa 300 (it was Sunline MachineGun Cast of a very thin diameter 0.43 mm for 30 lbs.). The Tranx 300 looks definitely narrower that the 400. I want a low pro reel for my newly received Gan Craft Shaku-One, the Balam 300 and others to come. Thanks guys for your thoughts! 

I am interested if the Shaku-One holds up to pike teeth or if it fills up with water. Seems there where some issues with the smaller jointed claws.

You will like the Tranx. Best low profile for pike fishing I ever fished.

• 2 weeks later...

300 is the ish! Comfortable and dependable. Sits a little tiny bit high on the rod but nothing to complain about. I like the 300 better cuz it's just way more comfortable....For me. Plus, it holds more than enough line if spooled with the proper tension - braid, mono, fluro or co-poly. But, everyone is different. Also I've thrown 16 oz lures on my 301 ahg and had no issues. The new Hagane Body, Coreprotect and X-Ship makes this reel a no brainer in any size/retrieve speed.

I'll be using 25 and 30 lbs. Japanese lines on it. These lines are thinner than most, but I still prefer a larger spool. So, 401 it is. But could get another 301 next year, if I like the bigger size.

@bigbaiter the 400 fits better in my hands . And I can use it to do more things . The 400 does everything the 300 can do ... and then some and you don’t lose any noticeable weight in getting the bigger real. Also when you hook up to a big pig you appreciate the 400 that much more