Tranx 301 or 401?

AndZ

Are you happy with the 401 over the 301?

I'm looking at the 401 to put on my 908 for BIG baits. Is it that necessary to have a 400 series reel over a 300 series?

Personally I'm the kind of person that lives by "I rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" philosophy.

Mine's in the mail. Hope it gets here next week.

When I cast my Lexa 300, the line capacity drops rather quickly with .43 mm diameter line and Magforce set at 3 maximum. This is why I wanted a larger and wider spool, too. Not to mention the line retrieve consistency you guys mentioned since the beginning of the thread.

• 2 weeks later...

The reel arrived today after a long wait. The sender filled in the incorrect/incomplete name and address.

The reel feels quite decent in size, it's really nice. Although the spool spins rather on the very slow/short side. Maximum 2 seconds... maybe the spool bearings are greased?

I think it will be a great reel for the 10" to 12" baits and maybe more.

post-26627-0-11984100-1516189766_thumb.jpg

Edited by AndZ

Mine felt a bit rough the first 2 or 3 times I went fishing but it got smoother and smoother every time. No worries you will be happy with it, great reel. I love how solid it feels in your hand, very similar to the high priced round reels.

The reel feels quite decent in size, it's really nice. Although the spool spins rather on the very slow/short side. Maximum 2 seconds... maybe the spool bearings are greased?

Side effect of it being better sealed. This is the reason why there really hasn't been alot of sealed baitcasters because if it were truly sealed then it wouldn't spin. One you wear in the grease and seals it will be fine. Plus casting 10-12" baits should help the casting too. But the free spool now is irrelevant.

I thought that so, but I can flush the bearings and lube them with Shimano, Rocket Fuel or other oil. 

Yes, the reel is rough and I can feel the gears meshing with the drag tightened all the way up. Makes my Lexa 300 feel really smooth :)))

The coating on the seals peels off rather quickly - I touched the spool/body seal with a pen (it looked like it wasn't seated properly, but it was) and just by touching a small portion, the water repellent spray was removed. Just a warning if you're using the Tranx in saltwater. Mine will see only fresh and big baits... I suppose at the moment of yearly maintenance, the seals should be replaced with new ones from Shimano.

First impressions: very solid, very compact, wide paddle knobs, feels torqueful. The weight is not noticeable, especially when I put it on my customn NFC BB809-1 IM rod for baits up to 10 - 11 oz.