Pickerel problems??

Brian C

So I'm new to the swimbait game and the lakes I normally fish in VA have a lot of pickerel and I tend to lose a lot of lures to them. So I was wondering if anyone has had problems with getting swimbaits bit off. I was planning on using braid to 25 lb copolymer and I didn't know if I might need to use a wire leader instead? I know I'll probably lose a few baits to them but I just wanted to ask y'all about it first. I'm still in highschool and don't have a lot of money so I don't wanna be losing to many lures to the toothy critters. I appreciate everyone so far and have been reading a lot of the threads and have learned a lot from y'all so far. Thanks

If you’re really worried consider using a heavy fluoro or mono leader like some of the SU members do in areas with big northerners. If you search the SU forums for “pike†and “leader†you should find a thread or two. I sometimes Fish makes that have big norttherns and I don’t use a leader most of the time - most of the pike I encounter either grab the bait tail-first or t-bone it. A really big pike might engulf it...but I haven’t caught a really big pike yet.

Pickerel don't go after the real big stuff as much but it still happens. Generally though their teeth won't be contacting your line since the lure is so large. I run 20 lb copoly and haven't broken off at all.

Like Andrew said the pickerel generally don't get the whole bait in their mouth so the teeth don't contact the line.  Even on occasions where they did get to the line once you bump up to 20 or 25 pound line they rarely are going to bite through it - I catch tons of pickerel up here in New England and I have yet to lose a hard swimbait to one.  On the other hand, those pickerel seem to delight in grabbing a Hudd by the tail.  Set the hook and you reel in a Hudd minus the tail.

i got a pond loaded with pickerel and big pickerel to! i used to be a huge problem fishing conventional gear, now that i almost exclusively fish swimbaits here! my bass catches out number pickerel. i dont think i caught a pickerel here on swimbaits! 

I would definitely be mindful if you are throwing rare/expensive stuff.  First outing with this repainted early Pat's perch and i hooked into this pickerel.  Wouldve been sooo pissed if i lost it...lol.

20170416 095211 HDR

I would definitely be mindful if you are throwing rare/expensive stuff.  First outing with this repainted early Pat's perch and i hooked into this pickerel.  Wouldve been sooo pissed if i lost it...lol.

. I plan in starting with hudds and swaivers and stuff like that till I get the hang of trowing big baits at first. That way when I make mistakes I won't have a huge loss

• 4 weeks later...