MOTHER HELP!!

ZNorris

Watch Roman Made turn around and say something like "That is a risk you take with handmade baits. Sorry"

This is a risk you take with wood.. no manufacturing technique can prevent wood from splitting.. it's few and far between.. and unfortunately when purchased second hand it's not the builders requirement to honor any warranty.. this is typical practice in almost any industry

IMHO this damage was the result of water intrusion it appears (from posted pics) only in second section...one of four (or more) entry spots either failed or weren't water tight from the beginning....the two hinges, the belly hook hanger or tail hanger....again IMHO very rarely do these vulnerable points fail after production...think about it one would have to seriously bang bait off of Rocks to cause the belly or tail hook hangers to fail...the joint hinges would more than likely not fail from this type of occurrence....having suffered this type of "blow-out " on my own personal builds it happens from water entering at joints not being water tight....iv'e had baits fail within within an hour of being in the water...sh%t happens....wood doesn't blow up for no reason at all....michel...Go Fish

Whats would be the best way to prevent this if buying used or new? Would putting a thin layer of super glue/epoxy around joints, hangers, line tie, and tail do the job? I don't own a mother but when I first started out I had a wood shell cracker that split down the sides from the joint after its first time out.

Here is series of three pics...pic of entire three pc 8 inch lure, first section failed within about 45 minutes

of being in the water.... cracks can be seen on the first section & on inside of section near eye joints this only happened on first

section... these cracks opened up about an 1/8 inch have since shrunk

due to drying out .... Water Intrusion on joints not being water tight !!!

post-28048-0-72852700-1514650947_thumb.jpeg

post-28048-0-30806500-1514650973_thumb.jpeg

post-28048-0-99807200-1514651000_thumb.jpeg

Whats would be the best way to prevent this if buying used or new? Would putting a thin layer of super glue/epoxy around joints, hangers, line tie, and tail do the job?

This sounds like a great start! I don't fish wood baits all that much, but I do make my own out of resin and know that it can be a difficult to clear all the way around any screw eye or other obtrusion. These are the weak spots in a bait's finish especially if it wasn't clear coated correctly and completely. I personally haven't had problems with this but I imagine resin is much more forgiving than wood.

In regards to extreme temperatures, just take extra precautions. I try to open all my tackle boxes or drill air holes in extreme heat to minimize any melting or warping of my baits.

reply to question posted by Thastickybandit....as Dan says it be a good start...read the info on any product u choose as all are not waterproof....five minute expoxies aren't as well as some super glues....30 minute epoxy is but it takes time to dry and will tend to run & possibly foul movement of swivel points....i believe gorilla super glue is waterproof versus water resistant ...good luck

I suggest sending it out to a "Wrapping Professional".  This will probably be the smartest, quickest, and best fix IMO. The guys that wrap baits have to strip all the old paint off and will be able to see all the damage and cracks. They'll probably lay an epoxy coat and then lay the wrap and another coat of epoxy. That's what I would do if I were in your shoes. Its better then having a paper weight and waiting on Roman to may or may not come through.  

I highly recommend Alex @ Realistic ofcourse ;)

• 1 month later...

Zack, did you ever get any resolution on your mother? I bought mine from tackle warehouse a while back but haven't really fished it much but have the same issue. I tried sealing original cracks with devcon 2 ton epoxy to only have new ones develop.

post-23570-0-35368500-1518290281_thumb.jpg

post-23570-0-43196900-1518290309_thumb.jpg

post-23570-0-21045100-1518290338_thumb.jpg

post-23570-0-81406800-1518290363_thumb.jpg

post-23570-0-60832500-1518290390_thumb.jpg

post-23570-0-74548100-1518290417_thumb.jpg

Those mothers are hard to look at! Hope the issues gets resolved...for the price I would want it replaced with a NEW one.

As far as glue I use Gorilla Glue on all my wood baits I make (Joint and Bill)

I had a slammer snap off the entire nose where the "Bill Cut" is... Gorilla Glued it back on and the next day was fishing it... Actually caught a Bass 8+ Lbs and it held up great. Completely waterproof and seals the holes 100%...baits over 5 yrs old still going strong like day 1.

post-19318-0-70256100-1518455419_thumb.jpg

post-19318-0-51705300-1518455438_thumb.jpg