4k dink

Top Ramen

nice! what size weight are you using for swim shooting?

It depends on the bait that's tied on. I want to use just enough weight to keep it on the bottom during the retrieve. Usually one half to one ounce does the trick. 

If you are interested in swimshotting, Eric Aske has a good video on it on YouTube.

I've gotten some questions about how the swimshot rig works so I'm going to post up some info. It's basically a way to use a bait that would normally run shallow and fish itas deep as you'd like. You can use either a floating or sinking bait but I generally use floaters. The specific length of the line is not really important as long as the line to the weight is shorter, so it can't hit the bait. How long each segment is depends on how far off the bottom I want the bait. 

Some people rig it just like the donkey rig, with a second swivel sliding above the main swivel. I simplify it and just use one swivel. I have not had any issues due to this and it shouldn't cause problems if you use a good swivel.

Casting it takes a little bit of adjustment but it's not difficult. It doesn't tangle nearly as much as I thought it would, maybe one in ten casts. When it hits the water, I give it a small pull just to get the swivel out in front of everything, then I just let it fall. In this video, I was running a floating FS Shad about a two feet off the bottom in ten or eleven feet of water.

Here's a simplified version of what it looks like:

post-18711-0-23156000-1516143270_thumb.png

BTW, the reason you can see into the water so well is that I put a polarizing lens on the camera. If you are using an action camera for fishing videos, I highly recommend getting one. They are cheap and make a big difference both in how well you can see into the water and in cutting glare.

• 4 weeks later...

Use this for the smaller mattlures... Didn't think about using that for hard baits.... Nicely done sir 

Thank you!

I started out doing it with floating soft baits but then started using floating hard baits. Works with glides too. I use it with floating Jointed Claws and Breamslides.

I learned the technique from Eric Aske's YouTube video: