Perfect set up

Snookonfly

Putting together my perfect Deps 250 setup. Certainly not an expert and I am always learning...I have my own ideas on this but want to see what the SU community uses for the reel. I have the LDC white label workshop 8'6" XH and pairing it with a slower 5:1 or 5.8:1 reel for the torque that comes with lower gear ratios. In your opinion, are there benefits to having a faster reel and if so, what are they in your experience?

You don't need any special torque to work a glide bait. I used 7:1 and 8:1 reels when I was punching and pulling big bass up through 18-20 feet of hydrilla. I had no trouble winching them (and giant wads of hydrilla) up.

It's just a lure. I've thrown SS250s on my 8:1 Mago and it worked fine. My usual Deps reel is a 6.3:1 Kago. You will appreciate a higher gear ratio when you have to pick up line because you are working the bait quickly. There is no real benefit to a lower gear ratio in this situation and a definite benefit to having a higher one.

Edited by Top Ramen

6.3:1 minimum for glides. I'm building a Deps rig right now, going with a 7.6:1 tranx 300. I don't need the extra line cap, I go lighter line than most for 250's, down to 14#, 17# at the most. I have some 250's at the bottom though. I like a  5.1 reel for huds, not so much for torque but to fish it slow.

I'm a line changer and re tie guy, light line gets more bites but it's more work, I believe this is true with all fishing, from spy baits, drop shot, rip baits to big glides and big bottom crawlers (huds & stuff). In my area Joe bruce was the king of swim baits, I lost to him many times....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNYG8Zqy7j4 he goes 15# on huds, and thats draggin bottom. The game is to get bit and catch the fish of a lifetime,  nothing else matters. 

Thanks for the input on the reel speed.

Second question.... Thinking about a Shimano Tranx for my Deps 250 set up. Would you go 300 size or 400 size and why?

I have not used either size Tranx but a couple of my friends have them. They look like they are pretty compact, so I would go for the 400 size if it seems comfortable to you.  It's not just about line capacity -- with a bigger spool, you get more consistency in your retrieve speed because having any given amount of  line out makes a smaller percentage difference in the spool diameter. But, I think you will be fine with either.

I would go tranx 400 personally. It’s the same size as the curado 300e with more line capacity. It will give you more consistent IPT over the curado. Round reels I would look for a Ryoga shrapnel over the conquest. It’s a keep it simple no frills monster big bait reel

Thanks, guys. I went for the Tranx 400AHG. It's the 7.6:1 Also, picked up the double paddle handle. Don't think I could get used to the big power crank that comes with the 400AHG. Looking forward to getting the new combo out on the water!