Glide bait line

Bassmann86

For glides in the 2-4oz range I'd think 15 or no more than 20# line to get the best action.  That's a beast of a reel for the application

This. I don't understand why people are using heavy line on small baits. For glides in that size range, I use #16 Sniper FC.

This. I don't understand why people are using heavy line on small baits. For glides in that size range, I use #16 Sniper FC.

We haven't adopted the Japanese way of thinking and we rest of the world's way of rating line. Always amazes me what line and reels guys overseas are throwing. Half of what guys in the states are throwing. More action to the baits and higher pressured fish and guys will start adopting lighter line philosophy. Pick you're line based on diameter and most guys would be surprised at what they're actually throwing.

That's all I've ever used for 250s. I don't get why guys use rope with them. Just smothers the action. No reason for it.

what size reel are you using that on? and what brand line. I'd just like to know because im building a 250 setup and ive heard many different opinions but I think going lighter line is better.

i use 12 lb yhb for swaiver 168 and the matts gills and 20 for glides 3oz and over.  I could step down but most the water here in Tennessee is not that clear.  If i were fishing clear water my heavier rig would come down to 17 or so.  I like co-polys and would use higher #for fluorocarbon.  Stating by lb test is kinds misleading and i feel the conversation should be in diameter.

Stating by lb test is kinds misleading and i feel the conversation should be in diameter.

Correct. Especially when you start doing actual break test on lines it's eye opening. When 17 lb test line is breaking closer to 30, you can probably downsize multiple sizes and not have an issue and catch more fish. The U.S. is way behind the rest of the world in how we categorize line. The diameter is a tiny footnote while the pound test is the main focus. All marketing bs. Same with braid carriers, gear ratio, rod powers/tapers, line capacity. On and on. There are no industry standards in fishing. But when everyone stops worrying about which products are better or worse, and starts focusing on using different products situationaly all the marketing bs goes away.

I fish my glides like jerkbaits often with pitches to structure, ideally when wind is on it.. I think a softer jb rod is what can be key... The right rod does a soft load when bait swims. Alot of my hits are on the twitch when wind hits structure...tactical bassing guys will each use different lines and adjust their rod flex accordingly...they have a decent vid on this issue.

Correct. Especially when you start doing actual break test on lines it's eye opening. When 17 lb test line is breaking closer to 30, you can probably downsize multiple sizes and not have an issue and catch more fish. The U.S. is way behind the rest of the world in how we categorize line. The diameter is a tiny footnote while the pound test is the main focus. All marketing bs. Same with braid carriers, gear ratio, rod powers/tapers, line capacity. On and on. There are no industry standards in fishing. But when everyone stops worrying about which products are better or worse, and starts focusing on using different products situationaly all the marketing bs goes away.

I agree! Here in Portugal people always look at line diameter, not pound test! Pound test many times is not correct and some lines break well over labeled pound test while others break under it. Line diameter is usually accurately labeled. Of couse strength of 2 different lines of the same diameter will be different, but so do 2 different line of the same lb test (because it's not accurate) and the diameter of 2 lines of the same pound test can be very different. Many people say P-Line CXX is too thick! Actually it's the opposite! If you compare a P-Line CXX with another copolymer or nylon line of the same diameter the CXX is stronger than the other line! The lb test labeled for that line is WAY under the real breaking strength... I had a 8" Hudd some time ago and used only 12lb test Big Game! I casted the bait with no problems... Caught my PB (5lb northern strain) 16 years ago a a normal sized spinnerbait and 6lb (0,25mm or 0.0098") mono! I fished 0,25mm line for a few years using normal sized spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, worms, and catching bass around 2 up to 4lb and I NEVER had a bass break my line. I use 0,356mm Big Game and caught bass up to almost 5lb with absolutely no problem... Even horsed a 5lb carp (way stronger than a 5lb bass) I caught on a 5" jerkbait with no problems...

Butch Brown says he never used line over 20lb test for bass fishing. He uses 20lb test Seaguar AbrazX even with the Deps 250. 20lb test Seaguar Abrazx is 0,405mm (0.016") diameter... If I use Big Game of a similar diameter 15lb test is just a little bit thinner than 20lb Abrazx. Also, Big Game is more elastic, so it is more shock absorbing. Also, bass here are northern strain. So, I should absolutely have no problem using 15lb test Big Game even for 5 or 6oz lures... If you fish for florida strain MAYBE you should use 20lb line, but I think you really don't need to, specially if you are careful and check your line regularly...

Listen to this interview of Butch Brown (starts at 41:24):

http://www.rodandreelradio.com/Archives/2017/02/02-05-17-2hr.mp3

Another interview with Butch Brown (starts at 21:32):

http://www.rodandreelradio.com/Archives/2016/03/03-20-16-2hr.mp3

You can search for "Butch Brown" in this page and download both interviews: http://www.rodandreelradio.com/archives.html

Edited by mcaetano2905

My only caveat in the line diameter debate is that I fear smaller diameter braid. The diameters have come down significantly over the years. I still stick with 50+.

Yeah, I don't use braid, but braid is very thin and has no stretch, so I think it's better not to go with a very small diameter.