Roman made mother

Treyc_cuthbertson

bait before the setup.. bold. You're on track with the 908, should work great for the mother. I threw mine on an Abu NaCl 51 (300ish size) - the bigshooter in the same size will work just as well. without issue. Many like a larger reel to help handle the heavy bait - that seems to be more preference. You can see videos from Japan of guys using other lo pro reels

depending on your budget, a lexa may be the only way to go. If you can spend a bit more, i would suggest looking at secondhand/used reels

908 is a great rod for the Mother. Lexa 300 is a bit under-sized. I usually use a Revo Toro Beast 60 but I also throw it on a Kago 300. Here is a great video on the kind of gear that works with a Mother:

Also, I think there are some old threads on here about gear for Mothers. IIRC, Travis did one.

Personally I prefer the Calcutta TE 400 (older model) on the Dobyns 908 and the Toro Beast 60 on the Tackle Industries 9' Telescopic XXH, 16 oz. The Diawa Shrapnel is another sleeper reel here. Casts like crazy and handles the Mother real well. Change the brakes provided to the longer style or if you can find some, the ABU corks, and you'll be in better shape than the stock ones or you may find your Mother in the next county (especially when using the Dobyns 908 with it)!!!